Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: indiv state laws pertaining to gay partners in event of illness, death. tax ( Answered,   0 Comments )
Subject: indiv state laws pertaining to gay partners in event of illness, death. tax
Category: Relationships and Society > Law
Asked by: scott423-ga
List Price: $69.00
Posted: 11 Mar 2006 04:10 PST
Expires: 10 Apr 2006 05:10 PDT
Question ID: 706060
which are the best states for a male couple in regards to joint
ownership of property, estate/inheritance taxes, making medical
decisions on the others behalf?  perhaps the question should be which
is the best state to die.  which provides best for survivor?
Subject: Re: indiv state laws pertaining to gay partners in event of illness, death. tax
Answered By: wonko-ga on 02 Apr 2006 11:51 PDT
"Existing Laws and Pending Lawsuits on Same-Sex Relationships" Lambda
Legal Defense and Education Fund (2005)
provides a map showing current laws by state regarding same-sex

"For same-sex couples living in Massachusetts, California,
Connecticut, and Vermont, same-sex marriage -- or a reasonable
facsimile of marriage -- is now a reality. If you live in any of these
four states, you and your partner have a decision to make that
same-sex couples have never had to make before: whether marriage is
right for you.

A few other states -- Hawaii, Maine, and New Jersey -- have domestic
partnership laws, but they offer limited rights that don't really
approximate marriage."

"Pros and Cons of Same-Sex Marriage: Is It for You?"  Nolo (2006)

"Same-Sex Marriage: Developments in the Law" Nolo (2006)
provides greater details regarding the laws in states offering
marriage and marriage-like relationships.

"Overview of Same Sex Marriage in the U.S.: The Struggle for Civil
Rights and Equality" by Rita A. Webb, National Association of Social
Workers and
"Family Law - GAY COUPLES" (2006) provide an
historical overview and some details about legislation.

Based on my research regarding current legislation, the states
offering the strongest legal rights to same-sex couples are
Massachusetts, Vermont, and Connecticut. California, Hawaii, Maine,
and New Jersey may also address your concerns adequately.  Given that
each state has requirements for obtaining the rights you are seeking,
such as registration, I encourage you to consult a family law attorney
in the state you are interested in who is knowledgeable about the
rights of same-sex couples.  The reference: "Same-Sex
Marriage: Developments in the Law" includes links to information
maintained by the various states.



Search terms: gay couple inheritance United States; same-sex couple
property inheritance; same-sex couple inheritance medical decision
There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy