Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Advice for single pregnant woman ( No Answer,   4 Comments )
Subject: Advice for single pregnant woman
Category: Family and Home > Families
Asked by: nkamom-ga
List Price: $5.00
Posted: 30 Mar 2006 08:00 PST
Expires: 29 Apr 2006 09:00 PDT
Question ID: 713596
I am looking for articles that address a single mother's rights in the
state of Ohio.  Specifically I am looking for articles that explain in
layman's terms the process for establishing paternity, and how to seek
child support.  This is for an adult (technically) woman (not a
minor). Thanks
There is no answer at this time.

Subject: Re: Advice for single pregnant woman
From: irlandes-ga on 30 Mar 2006 19:39 PST
Articles?  I can't help you there, but worked with a father's rights
group in the 80's as modern support laws were developed. I was the
first person in our city/county to get a copy  of the official child
support recovery employee's manual, thus have some knowledge beyond
the average citizen.

It is really simple. Due to Federal laws, this is almost uniform in
all states. Differences will be minor.  (They are possible, but

After the birth, contact the CSRU (Child Support Recovery Unit or
localized name) in your area. It is a government office.  Talk to
them; they take  care of the rest, period.

If they can find the putative (their terminology) father, they send
him a letter telling him to report for DNA tests; if he passes (flunks
from his viewpoint)  they then tell him to  report with income
information for support determination hearing. If he balks, their
lawyers take action in court, and if he refuses to come, they do it
without him.

Support amounts are based on state guidelines as required by Federal
law, thus not much negotiation.

They then send a letter to his employer ordering the employer to take
out the stated amount of money from each check, and shoud the employer
refuse, the employer gets to pay it.

It is down to a science, so don't worry about it.

Don't volunteer to pay a private attorney unless you totally strike
out with CSRU, since a private attorney can do no more than they can.
Subject: Re: Advice for single pregnant woman
From: nelson-ga on 30 Mar 2006 20:51 PST
That sucks.  The guy should have some choice in the matter.  If a
woman can choose to abort, a man should be able to shirk his
responsibility as well.
Subject: Re: Advice for single pregnant woman
From: amber00-ga on 31 Mar 2006 14:33 PST
If men wish to shirk responsibility then they can use condoms. Why
should some men assume that women bear responsibility for
Subject: Re: Advice for single pregnant woman
From: nelson-ga on 31 Mar 2006 15:44 PST
If a woman does not want to get pregnant and she has taken no
precautions, than it is plain foolish for her not to ask her partners
to "put the cap on the pen".

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy