Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: About bouncing my checks ( Answered,   6 Comments )
Subject: About bouncing my checks
Category: Business and Money
Asked by: heaven4u2004-ga
List Price: $3.00
Posted: 30 Mar 2006 21:46 PST
Expires: 29 Apr 2006 22:46 PDT
Question ID: 713858
What could happen to me if I write a check with my own bank account
for a little over 6 thousand dollars, thinking I was going to come
into the money but didnt. Can I go to Jail? it's my own account,theres
not just any money in there right now.    " Sign I'm Worried "
Subject: Re: About bouncing my checks
Answered By: cynthia-ga on 31 Mar 2006 03:01 PST
Hi heaven4u2004,

I found a web site that details civil and criminal penalties for bad
checks for all 50 states.

National Check Fraud Center - Bad Check Laws by States
To find out what ALL the penalties are, be sure to check your state in
both places, Civil penalties are on the top, scroll down to see the
Criminal penalties.

Hope this helps!


Search strategy used at Google:
States "Bad Check" Felony
Subject: Re: About bouncing my checks
From: daniel2d-ga on 30 Mar 2006 22:19 PST
It is called fraud.  A real crime.  I would immediately get a loan and
make good those checks.
Subject: Re: About bouncing my checks
From: ansel001-ga on 31 Mar 2006 01:18 PST
You can avoid a lot of trouble by not writing any checks before you
have the money in your account.  As they say, "Don't count your
chickens before they're hatched."
Subject: Re: About bouncing my checks
From: myoarin-ga on 31 Mar 2006 02:21 PST
The story about expecting money to arrive won't be any excuse.  It is
almost standard in discussions about check bouncing.  Furthermore, in
the States, since such funds would also be in the form of a check, if
you weren't already in possession of that check, you must anticipate
that your checks would be presented before a check was received by you
and deposited and cleared.
Subject: Re: About bouncing my checks
From: stressedmum-ga on 31 Mar 2006 03:44 PST
Hi there heaven4u2004
Don't do it! It simply isn't worth the risk. Your bank will come down
on you like a ton of bricks and make life hell4U!
Subject: Re: About bouncing my checks
From: iaal-ga on 14 Apr 2006 18:07 PDT
Immediately contact the business or person to whom you wrote the bad
check and explain what happened.  Also contact your bank and pay the
approxiately $20 it will cost to stop the check (have the date,
number, and payee name).  Make alternative payment arrangements with
the payee -- set up an installment plan or get a loan from a bank.  It
may be difficult, but not nearly as difficult as allowing things to
take their course by bouncing the check.

Another bad alternative: you can set up overdraft protection using any
credit card tied to your bank account.  The big problem with this is
that the interest rates are very high, they start immidiately upon the
transfer, and there is often a huge fee in addition to the interest
Subject: Re: About bouncing my checks
From: myoarin-ga on 15 Apr 2006 04:21 PDT
You should also be interested in the answeres to these questions:

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy