Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Buying a specific type of engineering paper ( No Answer,   10 Comments )
Subject: Buying a specific type of engineering paper
Category: Science > Physics
Asked by: mykemyke-ga
List Price: $5.00
Posted: 02 Apr 2006 18:46 PDT
Expires: 02 May 2006 18:46 PDT
Question ID: 714797
This should be an easy question - I'm trying to a place to buy
engineering paper, or more specifically, an Engineer's Computation
Pad.  Almost always it is in green.  However, I am interested in the
"buff" or tan/cream colored version.  I put several pictures of an old
pad that I bought several years ago that is what I'm looking

Sometimes the paper comes in loose leaf (so that you can put it in a
binder.)  I'm more interested in the pads - 100 or 200 sheets with a
harder backing.

I'm looking to buy several reams (if possible) either online or off,
so I need someplace that I can buy some at an affordable price.

Clarification of Question by mykemyke-ga on 04 Apr 2006 19:56 PDT
No responses yet, so I upped the price.  The pictures attached are of
a specific brand - I don't care about brand, but I'm looking for the
color, the engineering graph lines, and less importantly that it's in
the pads.
There is no answer at this time.

Subject: Re: Buying a specific type of engineering paper
From: myoarin-ga on 05 Apr 2006 05:04 PDT
Have you searched with:  engineer's computation pad

There are lots of site selling different types online, such as this one:
Subject: Re: Buying a specific type of engineering paper
From: mykemyke-ga on 06 Apr 2006 12:40 PDT
That's the pads alright, but they are all white or green.  Another example:

I'm looking to buy "buff" or possibly manilla colored ones...
Subject: Re: Buying a specific type of engineering paper
From: bipolarmoment-ga on 07 Apr 2006 14:04 PDT
I believe the pictures of the one you currently have are also green,
just much lighter than the standard you describe. I know that I've
bought two sets of engineering paper where one was most definitely
green while the other looks much like yours. If you have to, check the
bookstore at your local college--or if that's where you are currently
getting them, check an associated bookstore.

Other than that, I'm not sure how you'd be sure it's the right color
without buying one from several different companies.
Subject: Re: Buying a specific type of engineering paper
From: fliptomato-ga on 18 May 2006 18:11 PDT
I just purchased several pads of "Roaring Spring #95182" Engineer
Calculation pads from the Stanford Bookstore. You can make purchases
online, but you will probably have to call them to make a special mail
order. The Roaring Spring #95812 pads are buff on heavier paper, not
the lighter (16 lb) green paper that you can find more readily online.
 I believe this is identical to the National Brand 42-182 pads that
you have a photo of.

Best wishes.
Subject: Re: Buying a specific type of engineering paper
From: aaronbuchwald-ga on 30 May 2006 10:34 PDT
I know exactly the paper you?re talking about. I have a pad of it
in front of me right now. This is by far the best engineering
paper I?ve ever used. I don?t know why it was not more widespread.

I have only seen this paper sold in two places
o) Marshalltown Iowa in the late 70s and early 80s
o) Bookstore at Santa Clara Univ in the early 90s

Once I saw it in Santa Clara I bought out their stock every
time I went in there. Now I only have a few sheets left.

I don?t think the National Brand exists anymore. Even if you had
to go with the traditional green National was the best of all the vendors

There?s been a trend lately to use horrible quality paper in engineering
pads, most have the same texture of public-restroom toilet paper. 
Ampad is prime example of this really low-end paper. The best I can 
find currently  is Staedtler No. 937 811E Engineer?s Computation Pad.
I guess this will have to do unless I can find some more National Brand.

Good Luck with finding the cream-colored National Brand 42-182
and please let me know if you find a large supply somewhere.
Subject: Re: Buying a specific type of engineering paper
From: mistermolina-ga on 28 Aug 2006 10:15 PDT
If anyone is interested in the National Brand 42-182 pads (buff
computation pads)  I can probably get some to you for $5-6 plus
shipping.  I'd sell them on ebay if anyone is interested.

Subject: Re: Buying a specific type of engineering paper
From: freebass-ga on 31 Aug 2006 22:20 PDT

if you put these on ebay, let us know.  i used to use this brand and
color at lsu and loved it.  so much easier on the eyes.
Subject: Re: Buying a specific type of engineering paper
From: msucvleng-ga on 05 Oct 2006 19:01 PDT
I too am interested in purchasing the buff engineering paper.  I have
tried several links that were listed on the chat but have had no luck
locating anything.  I'm open for suggestions if anyone has some.

Subject: Re: Buying a specific type of engineering paper
From: rfarnham-ga on 13 Oct 2006 11:57 PDT
I have always preferred the National Brand as well and have been
having a harder and harder time finding it.  I just had to buy some by
Ampad, and they are horrible.  The grid is too faint so you end up
with a headache after straining to see it.

I think I have found the National Brand online though.  I am ordering
some now, so I can't confirm it.  It seems that the company is now
called Rediform.  From the Rediform corporate profile: "In November
2003, Rediform signed a multi-year license agreement with Avery
Dennison Worldwide Office Products for the worldwide exclusive sale,
distribution and manufacture of the National Brand note-taking and
accounting supplies business."

When you search for engineers pads on the Rediform site the ones that
come up look right and have the National Brand logo.  I entered the
catalog number (42182) that someone else was looking for and that came
up as well, although they call it white paper.

Here's a link to their catalog page:

I can't link to the specific items but you can search from the catalog
page for "computation pad" and find all of them.  It doesn't appear
that you can buy small amounts from them.  Someone mentioned buying a
lot, so you might be able to set up an account.

I contacted the company and they connected me with Atlas Stationers
out of Chicago.  Here is the page for the 100 sheet green pads:

You can search in their catalog for the others using the 5 digit
National number, but YOU MUST put "red" in front of the number or you
won't find it.  Search "red42182" for the white pads.
Subject: Re: Buying a specific type of engineering paper
From: msucvleng-ga on 18 Oct 2006 19:43 PDT
Greetings to those searching for the best engineering paper.  I just
wanted to tell everyone that I purchased the white National Brand
42-182.  To me it is just as thin and flimsy as the greentint paper. 
I'm not sure of the bond weight of the paper but it cannot be anymore
than 16lb.  Therefore, I am still in search.

Hope you guys have better luck.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy