Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: out of state visitation: does a child of a certain age have the right to choose? ( No Answer,   0 Comments )
Subject: out of state visitation: does a child of a certain age have the right to choose?
Category: Family and Home
Asked by: iamtaylorsmom1-ga
List Price: $5.00
Posted: 13 Apr 2006 04:54 PDT
Expires: 13 May 2006 04:54 PDT
Question ID: 718469
is a child able to choose not to follow court ordered visitation after
she reaches a certain age per Alabama law? she will be 12 in April. We
live out of state and does not want to spend 6 weeks total in the
summer and every spring break.

Request for Question Clarification by cynthia-ga on 13 Apr 2006 18:40 PDT
I assume that the separation (relocation) was allowed by the family
court. Generally, 12 years old is not old enough to decide to refuse a
visitation order. There would have to be extenuating circumstances to
create a new modification order. At 12, the state (Alabama) doesn't
really matter, even states that do allow children to refuse, do so at
a later age.

Look at these:

Kid's Visitation Woes

Another forum exchange:

..."re: 14 child refuses visitation
By: Ford
Date: 6/11/2005 3:20:29 PM

"My 14 year old son refuses to visit father."

If he refused to go to school what would you do? Punish him? Force him?

Giving effect to the child's wish not to go on visitation can put you
in contempt of the court order. It can indicate that you cannot
control the child. It can be a basis for the NCP to seek custody.

"I am not preventing the visitation. I am trying to support son in his choice"

You are not encouraging the son's visit, and supporting the son in
violating the order is NOT proper.

"I am wondering if a 14 year old in N.Y. is old enough to have input."

They express a preference. A judge gives it weight with regard to how
reasonable and mature the child's explanation is.

You are going about this all the wrong way. You are giving up control
to the child..."

You can see where this is leading. 12 is too young to decide, you must
enforce the order or your refusal to get your daughter on the
plane/train can be construed as contempt, or at worst, an inability to
be able to control the child and used as a basis for the non-custodial
parent to sue for full custody.

Also, there is this Essay if you care to buy it:
A Law School Essay, costs $29.00 to view. Synopsis:

..."Courts are frequently confronted with children who, regardless of
court orders, refuse to visit their noncustodial parents. This article
examines the possible alternatives to holding a child, or parent, in
contempt for such behavior. Furthermore, solutions and ideas that
better serve the needs of children and parents in these highly
volatile family situations will also be explored..."

Does this answer your question?
There is no answer at this time.

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy