Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Infrared reflective paint ( No Answer,   3 Comments )
Subject: Infrared reflective paint
Category: Sports and Recreation > Hobbies and Crafts
Asked by: jbrown-ga
List Price: $15.00
Posted: 15 Apr 2006 20:50 PDT
Expires: 15 May 2006 20:50 PDT
Question ID: 719360
I am looking for a paint that I can apply to an object that will make
it highly visible when looked at with night vision goggles. The
goggles are sensitive to infrared light, so I was looking for
something that was reflective in that spectrum. I was also considering
the Luminova pigment used on watches, but I haven't found a source to
purchase it in small quantities. If the paint is sprayable, and less
than $20 it would be great, but I don't know how realistic that is.

Clarification of Question by jbrown-ga on 22 Apr 2006 17:04 PDT
I am not sure that something like the AT SHIELD paint would work
because at night, I don't think there would be sufficient infrared
light for it to reflect. Something that can store and emit the light
for a long period of time, similar to what is used on the faces of
watches, might be better.

To answer the redfoxjumps, the daytime color is not important, my
night vision goggles do have an infrared flaslight attached, but the
objects that need to be illuminated will probably be too far away. The
objects will be exposed to moonlight.
There is no answer at this time.

Subject: Re: Infrared reflective paint
From: redfoxjumps-ga on 15 Apr 2006 21:10 PDT
Does the daytime normal color matter?  

Do your night vision gogles project radiation of some sort? 

Will it be exposed to starlight and moonlight?

Diffuse or specular reflection?

Assume you looking for something "white" or reflective in the infared range.

They make some roofing paints and coatings, that are designed to reflect heat.

I would start there.
Subject: Re: Infrared reflective paint
From: 2500hd-ga on 22 Apr 2006 10:30 PDT
Try this paint:
Subject: Re: Infrared reflective paint
From: aussietpp-ga on 14 May 2006 12:06 PDT
Maybe instead of paint you could try a "Deep Heat" type of ointment.
The sort of stuff that athletes use for muscular injuries. "Tiger
Balm" is another one. Hope this helps or gives you some ideas.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy