Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Visa Requirements for Canadian Student Marrying US Citizen ( Answered 1 out of 5 stars,   1 Comment )
Subject: Visa Requirements for Canadian Student Marrying US Citizen
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: mtvlagunacar-ga
List Price: $5.00
Posted: 25 Apr 2006 10:33 PDT
Expires: 25 May 2006 10:33 PDT
Question ID: 722668
1) My brother is a Canadian citizen who was admitted to a PH.D program
in the US and will begin school in September. As a Canadian citizen, I
believe he would not need an F-1 visa as there is a visa waiver
program in place, but would like confirmation of this particularly
because I keep reading personal stories about Canadian students with
F-1 visas.  If a Canadian student does not need an F-1, but simply
needs a SEVIS form: how is this obtained?

2) The complicating factor is that he wants to marry his fiancee (a US
citizen) in August of this year. Will he need a K-1 visa since he has
an alternate legitimate reason for coming to the United States to
study? If not, how does he adjust status after he marries since he
should be coming in on a visa waiver?
Subject: Re: Visa Requirements for Canadian Student Marrying US Citizen
Answered By: alanna-ga on 14 May 2006 17:45 PDT
Rated:1 out of 5 stars
Dear mtvlagunacar-ga -

Thanks for using Google Answers.

Many Canadian citizens can travel to the US without a visa.  However,
if your brother is a fiance of an American citizen, he would be
required to obtain a non-immigrant visa.

This is what the US consulate says:

"Canadian citizens do not require visas to enter the U.S., except when
coming as immigrants (permanent residents), or in the following
non-immigrant categories: Diplomatic,... Treaty Trader/ Treaty
Investor,... FiancÚ(e) of U.S. citizens ("K1/K2" visas), or spouse of
a U.S. citizen (K3/K4 visas)."

To make an appointment for obtaining a visa,  your brother can
telephone the numbers on the following web page:

Canadians are permitted to study in the US (without a visa) but must
have a valid form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility):    (scroll
midway down  page to "Studying in the United States")

As you can see, entering the US for the purpose of study implies that
a student has no intention of immigrating and every intention of
returning to Canada.

An example of the I-20 process can be found at:

I am neither an attorney nor an immigration expert.  An immigration
attorney may be able to find loopholes or advise you differently, but
my reading of the information cited above is that your brother would
probably be safer with an immigration (K-1) visa if has the intention
to stay in the US.

All the best,


Google Search
mtvlagunacar-ga rated this answer:1 out of 5 stars

Subject: Re: Visa Requirements for Canadian Student Marrying US Citizen
From: mister4u-ga on 26 Apr 2006 08:20 PDT
These are the Immigration websites for the Gvernment of Canada.
If you can't find the answer on the first two pages the third gives
you cntavt information.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy