Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Birthright Citizenship in UK ( Answered,   1 Comment )
Subject: Birthright Citizenship in UK
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: qqvgeopzzru-ga
List Price: $200.00
Posted: 26 Apr 2006 21:13 PDT
Expires: 26 May 2006 21:13 PDT
Question ID: 723216
What form do i need to file for Birthright Citizenship in the UK?
I have birth certificate with all information concerning my birth in
newport,Wales to my mother who was a citizen as were all her family.
Her family has only lived in England. I now live in the US but would
like to have dual citizenship.
Thank you for your help
Subject: Re: Birthright Citizenship in UK
Answered By: umiat-ga on 26 Apr 2006 22:51 PDT
Hello, qqvgeopzzru-ga! 

I have culled out the sections and forms from the UK Immigration &
Nationality Directorate which appear to be most relevant to your
situation. Please look through them and see if they apply to you.
There are additional sections on the site which may be significant to
your situation as well.

Before you go to the UK Immigration and Nationality site, you might
want to read over these general Q&A's about Dual Citizenship:

See "Questions and answers on dual US/other citizenship."

UK Citizenship

First and foremost, see "Advice about Nationality."

BN18 - Information about dual nationality

BN1 - British Citizenship

Chart A - What will be the citizenship of people who are born in the
United Kingdom?

"BN13: Information about registration as a British citizen by certain
people born before 1983 to British mothers."

"BN9 - Citizenship of children who were born in the United Kingdom on
or after 1 January 1983."

Form UKM and Guide

Guide UKM - Registration as a British citizen

"Form UKM - Application for registration as a British citizen by
certain persons born before 1983 to British mothers."

Where to send your application form, fee and any supporting documents


Also read:

Dual Nationality (Children)

Dual Nationality (Adults)

"Dual Nationality - Applying for British Nationality from the Home Office."


"Dual citizens in UK could lose citizenship in new bill." 05 December 2005


 I hope the information I have provided points you in the right
direction. Please don't hesitate to ask if you need additional
clarification and I will help further if I can!



Search Strategy

UK citizenship
UK dual citizenship
UK and US dual citizenship
"birthright citizenship" in UK
Subject: Re: Birthright Citizenship in UK
From: hummer-ga on 27 Apr 2006 17:07 PDT
Hi qqvgeopzzru,

Just thought I'd add to Umiat's link regarding dual citizenship. 

"In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person
must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice,
and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship."

In other words, by default you keep your US citizenship unless you renounce it.


Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy