Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: keep PRC chinese citizenship after being a canadian citizenship ( Answered,   0 Comments )
Subject: keep PRC chinese citizenship after being a canadian citizenship
Category: Relationships and Society > Law
Asked by: hubert_huo-ga
List Price: $20.00
Posted: 27 Apr 2006 04:02 PDT
Expires: 27 May 2006 04:02 PDT
Question ID: 723289
how can i keep my chinese sitizenship after i sweared for being a
canadian citizen? then i can go into both countries freely without any
visa of ether of these 2 contries.
Subject: Re: keep PRC chinese citizenship after being a canadian citizenship
Answered By: hummer-ga on 27 Apr 2006 05:54 PDT
Hi hubert_huo,

Sorry to say, China does not recognize dual citizenship, meaning the
government of the PRC does not recognize claims to citizenship of
China and another country simultaneously, but you won't lose your
Chinese citizenship (it's more a matter of China not recognizing your
new citizenship rather than taking your Chinese citizenship away). In
regards to travel, you will not need a visa to travel to Hong Kong and
for the rest of China, there is an agreement between the governments
of Canada and China which allows a Chinese person to travel on his
Canadian passport to the PRC, thus facilitating entry and exit. 
Remember, you must enter China as a Canadian to avoid exit problems.
You can get your visa in Canada or travel to Hong Kong first (no visa
needed) and quickly obtain your visa for the rest of China there. To
answer your question I've copied and pasted some relevant sections,
below but please click on the links for full details.

`The People's Republic of China does not recognise dual nationality of
a Chinese citizen.''

Dual Citizenship: What Travellers Should Know
"A bilateral treaty between Canada and China establishes that China
will recognize the Canadian citizenship of persons with Chinese
ancestry if they enter China using a Canadian passport." 
Consular Agreement Between the Government of CANADA and the Government
Facilitation of Travel
1. The Contracting Parties agree to facilitate travel between the two
States of a person who may have a claim simultaneously to the
nationality of the People's Republic of China and that of Canada.
However, this does not imply that the People's Republic of China
recognizes dual nationality. Exit formalities and documentation of
that person shall be handled in accordance with the law of the State
in which that person customarily resides. Entry formalities and
documentation shall be handled in accordance with the law of the State
of destination.
2. If judicial or administrative proceedings prevent a national of the
sending State from leaving the receiving State within the period of
validity of his visa and documentation, that national shall not lose
his right to consular access and protection by the sending State. That
national shall be permitted to leave the receiving State without
having to obtain additional documentation from the receiving State
other than exit documentation as required under the law of the
receiving State.
3. A national of the sending State entering the receiving State with
valid travel documents of the sending State will, during the period
for which his status has been accorded on a limited basis by visa or
lawful visa-free entry, be considered as a national of the sending
State by the appropriate authorities of the receiving State with a
view to ensuring consular access and protection by the sending State.

Dual citizenship
CBC News Online | July 29, 2004

"The preparation you need depends on the purpose and duration of your
trip. Regardless of where you are travelling in China and how long you
will stay, ensure you have the proper documentation:
You will need a Canadian passport that is valid for at least six
months after your intended departure date from China..."
"If you?re planning to visit Hong Kong for up to 90 days or Macao for
up to 30 days, you do not need a visa. For a longer stay, you can
obtain a visa on arrival in Macao or Hong Kong, provided you have the
necessary documentation. A visitor fee of 100 patacas for each adult
and 50 patacas for each child up to 12 years old is applied on arrival
in Macao. There is no visitor fee for Hong Kong.
If you?re travelling to other parts of China, you will require a visa,
which can be obtained in Canada. Further information is provided in
the Visas and Documentation section and the Hong Kong section."
Visas and Documentation
"Canadians visiting China require a visa, which can be obtained from
the Embassy of the People?s Republic of China in Ottawa, or from the
Chinese consulates general in Calgary, Toronto and Vancouver. The
Vancouver office has responsibility for British Columbia and Yukon
Territory. The Calgary office covers Alberta, Saskatchewan and the
Northwest Territories. The Toronto office handles applications from
Ontario and Manitoba. Residents of the other provinces and Nunavut
should apply to the Embassy in Ottawa. Visa applications can be
obtained by sending a stamped, self-addressed envelope to the Chinese
embassy, or they can be downloaded on-line. Applications are normally
processed in about five days, but priority service is available for an
additional charge.
If you are travelling to Hong Kong first, visas for the rest of China
can be obtained fairly quickly from the Visa Section, Office of the
Commissioner, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, People?s Republic of China,
5/F Lower Block, China Resources Building, 26 Harbour Road, Wanchai,
Hong Kong, or through the China Travel Service (CTS), China
International Travel Service (CITS) or some private travel agencies."

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please post a
clarification request and wait for me to respond before closing/rating
my answer.

Thank you,

Google Search Terms Used: dual citizenship china canada travel
visitors visa canadian chinese
There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy