Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Canadian citizen became US resdient in mid 2005, tax guidance & help in Chicago ( No Answer,   0 Comments )
Subject: Canadian citizen became US resdient in mid 2005, tax guidance & help in Chicago
Category: Business and Money > Accounting
Asked by: harris212-ga
List Price: $25.00
Posted: 06 May 2006 08:29 PDT
Expires: 05 Jun 2006 08:29 PDT
Question ID: 726061
I am a Canadian citizen and moved to Illinois in Sep'05 on green card
for good from Ontario, Canada. My wife is US citizen and has no earned
income. I was employed in Canada from Jan'05 to Aug'05 (and lived
there) then took transfer to US practice of my firm in Sep'05 and
relocated to Chicago.  I already have applied for tax return extension
in US.

I am looking for basic tax guidance; I believe I will have file tax
returns in both countries. How should I approach my tax filing? Would
it be beneficial to elect to be treated as US resident for tax
purposes to get the full standard deduction amount and exempt Canadian
income using 2555 (if I am eligible)?
What forms do I need to file in US especially in regards to my
Canadian RRSP (I took out my RRSPs in April'06)?

Are there any tax professionals in Chicago area who can help me?
I am not looking for H& R block office; I am looking for tax
professionals with knowledge in Canadian & US tax.
Please provide basic guidance also; I need to know some basics before
I go for professional help.
There is no answer at this time.

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy