Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: K-1 Fiance Visa / police certificates ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   1 Comment )
Subject: K-1 Fiance Visa / police certificates
Category: Relationships and Society > Law
Asked by: ikoskela-ga
List Price: $15.00
Posted: 08 May 2006 02:52 PDT
Expires: 07 Jun 2006 02:52 PDT
Question ID: 726472
According to many websites, to obtain a K-1 Fiance Visa, my fiance
will need to collect police certificates from all places she has lived
since age 16. This is to verify that she is not a criminal.

I am working with my fiance to complete this. However, she has
experienced significant hardship in her life and does not have address
information for every place she's lived since age 16. Of the places
she does have address information for, she may not have proof of
residency. For instance, she may have been staying with a friend. This
friend may not be reachable to verify this fact anymore. The police
for that locality may not provide the certificate without such proof
of residency. The US embassy may want such proof as well.

What options do we have to satisfy the police certificate requirement
given the limitations I've described?

Request for Question Clarification by hummer-ga on 08 May 2006 05:21 PDT
Hi ikoskela,

In which country will she be applying?  


Clarification of Question by ikoskela-ga on 08 May 2006 11:13 PDT
She is in South Africa. I am in the United States.
Subject: Re: K-1 Fiance Visa / police certificates
Answered By: hummer-ga on 08 May 2006 13:24 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Hi ikoskela,

You are making things far more complicated then they need to be. Your
fiance just needs to ask for a Police Clearance Certificate at the
local police station and they will take care of the rest (applying to
the Criminal Records Centre in Pretoria). The Certificate will be
needed for the immigration interview (don't include it with your
I-129F petition) and they will keep the original, so be sure to ask
for a certified copy for yourselves.

Application for Police Fingerprint Clearance Certificate
Conditions/Service description:
"This service is available to persons who mostly require confirmation
on their criminal status for emigration purposes or for working abroad
for long periods of time. A certificate will be issued stating whether
any criminal offences are recorded against the applicant. The taking
of the fingerprints will be done at the local police stations, however
the analyzing thereof and the issuing of the certificate is done only
by the SAPS Criminal Record Centre in Pretoria."
1. This office has to be provided with a full set of your
fingerprints, taken at your nearest Police Station. Your full name,
surname, date of birth, place of birth and identity number (if
available) must also be recorded on the fingerprint form. The
applicant must take his/her Identity document to the police station as
proof of identity will be required.
3. The police station will forward the application to the Criminal
Record Centre. In urgent cases, the applicant may deliver the
completed application in person or mail the application to;
The Head of the South African Criminal Record Centre
(For attention: Police Clearance Certificates)
Private Bag X308
South Africa

South African Police Clearance certificates are obtainable from the
Criminal Records Centre in Pretoria South Africa. For information on
obtaining a Police Clearance Certificate contact this Mission on:
# Tel no: 020 7451 7299
# Fax no: 020 7451 7283
If you choose to Fax your request the minimum information required is:
# Applicants full name as it appears in his/her passport.
# The Authority requesting the Police Clearance.
# Full Residential Address with Postal Code and County where applicable.

Information about obtaining Police Certificates and Military Records
in different countries
"Police certificates are required from every visa applicant aged 16
years or over for each locality of the country of the applicant?s
nationality or current residence where the applicant has resided for
at least six months since attaining the age of sixteen. Police
certificates are also required from all other countries where the
applicant has resided for at least one year."
Police clearance certificates may be acquired from the any police
station. Fingerprints are also done from the police station which
forwards them to the Central Registry.
You must submit the following:
    * 2 Passport size photographs
    * South African identity document
    * Application form
    * Fees
In South Africa, you just go to your local police station and request
a Police Clearance Certificate. It costs about R30. They do it from
Pretoria and it will apply for every place you have lived in South
Africa from the age of 16.

Additional Links of Interest

Diplomatic Mission of the United States of America South Africa

FiancÚ(e) Visas
"A fiancÚ(e) of an United States citizen can apply for a special visa
which will permit him/her to travel to the U.S. for the purpose of
marrying within ninety days of entering the United States and residing
permanently there. The U.S. citizen is called the petitioner. The
foreign fiancÚ(e) is called the beneficiary.
Applying for a fiancÚ(e) visa takes place in two steps lasting several
months. The first step is for the U.S. citizen - the petitioner - to
file an I-129F fiancÚ(e) visa petition in the United States . I-129F
visa petitions can be approved only by the United States Citizenship
and Immigration Services (USCIS) in the United States . The fee for
filing an I-129F visa petition is $ 170 U.S. (as of October 26, 2005).
The second stage of the fiancÚ(e) visa process will begin when the
consulate in Johannesburg receives the approved I-129F petition from
the U.S. At that time, the foreign applicant - the beneficiary - will
be sent a detailed list of the supporting documents needed to apply
for the visa.
After the beneficiary informs the Consulate that all the documents are
ready, a visa interview will be scheduled. There is a $ 100 U.S. visa
application fee for the fiancÚ(e) visa itself, but there are
additional fees charged for the mandatory medical examination and for
some of the required documents.
Once the visa is issued, the non-American beneficiary must enter the
U.S. within six months. The couple must marry within three months of
that entry date and report this marriage to the nearest USCIS offcso
that the beneficiary may obtain a resident alien card (a green card).
The alien fiancÚ(e)/spouse must NOT leave the United States until the
USCIS process has been finalized and residency has been granted,
otherwise your adjustment request will be considered abandoned and you
will have to reinitiate the immigration process at the Embassy
abroad." [Forms]

How Do I Bring My FiancÚ(e) to the United States?

Application Procedures: Bringing a FiancÚ(e) to Live in the United States

I was glad to find this for you, I hope you sleep better tonight! If
you have any questions, please post a clarification request and wait
for me to respond before closing/rating my answer.

Thank you,

Google Search Terms Used: 
south africa k-1 police record south african certificate u.s. embassy
ikoskela-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars and gave an additional tip of: $3.00
Extremely detailed answer. Thank you!

Subject: Re: K-1 Fiance Visa / police certificates
From: hummer-ga on 09 May 2006 16:04 PDT
You are welcome, ikoskela, and thank you too for the tip!  I hope
everything works out well for the two of you. Sincerely, hummer

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy