Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Alcoholism in the Priesthood ( No Answer,   8 Comments )
Subject: Alcoholism in the Priesthood
Category: Relationships and Society > Religion
Asked by: lionnyc-ga
List Price: $10.00
Posted: 08 May 2006 09:21 PDT
Expires: 07 Jun 2006 09:21 PDT
Question ID: 726561
I'm trying to find out the number of Alcohol Rehabilitation Centers
that treat alcoholic priests or clergy in the U.S. I'm specifically
looking for alcoholic clergy treatment centers in or around Manhattan.

Is there a definitive expert in the field of treating alcoholic priests? 

I'm also interested to know if there has ever been a study on the
number of clergy members (either Protestant or Catholic) that are
affected by substance abuse.

Many thanks!
There is no answer at this time.

Subject: Re: Alcoholism in the Priesthood
From: probonopublico-ga on 08 May 2006 09:37 PDT
Why would alcoholic priests need anything other than an ordinary
Alcohol Rehabilitation Center?

Surely the treatment would suit everyone?
Subject: Re: Alcoholism in the Priesthood
From: mint88-ga on 08 May 2006 10:43 PDT
Not so...often times professionals need a different type of treatment.
 My father (Pshychiatrist) was a recovered alcholic (since deceased)
and he required two treatment centers.  The first a bust because he
knew how "to play the game" and the second was successful because they
knew how to break down his barriers and could handle his mastery of
the treatment process itself.

I imagine a priest is one who would need special treatment as they are
a "counselor", too.

Subject: Re: Alcoholism in the Priesthood
From: pinkfreud-ga on 08 May 2006 10:51 PDT
Guest House is a facility in Michigan that treats alcoholic priests:
Subject: Re: Alcoholism in the Priesthood
From: nelson-ga on 08 May 2006 11:38 PDT
Don't forget: priests drink wine as part of their job duties.
Subject: Re: Alcoholism in the Priesthood
From: alanna-ga on 08 May 2006 12:26 PDT
There is an Inter-Congregational Addiction Program (ICAP) in the Bronx
which helps women religious. They might be able to steer you to a
priest recovery program. You may contact them through their website:
Subject: Re: Alcoholism in the Priesthood
From: swmo-ga on 08 May 2006 13:59 PDT
i believe that there is a program specifically for priests in
Rochester, MN (or thereabouts).

you might want to call the arch diocese to see if they have any suggestions.
Subject: Re: Alcoholism in the Priesthood
From: jack_of_few_trades-ga on 09 May 2006 12:29 PDT
I think that Catholic priests being required to remain single
throughout their life makes them highly susceptible to such influences
as alchohol (and sexual sins that are for another discussion).

I doubt the Catholic Church would allow such a study to determine the
number of clergy members who are affected by substance abuse because
the results would make them look quite bad.
Subject: Re: Alcoholism in the Priesthood
From: rebelwithoutasauce-ga on 10 Aug 2006 00:50 PDT

That is a good point and to clarify for those who may not know:
Catholic priests who are recovered alcoholics are allowed (with
permission from the local bishop) to use mustum, which is a wine that
has not been allowed to ferment, in the consecration ceremony.  The
use of any other substitute is believed to be invalid and with mustum
only the afflicted priest is permitted to recieve communion from that

The use of mustum is reserved to priests because alcoholic laypersons
need only recieve communion under one form for it to be a complete
communion.  The priest must recieve under both forms (and both forms
must be present) as part of the mass ceremony.
The same goes for persons who have a wheat allergy, they may recieve
communion under the form of the wine and it is full communion.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy