Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Car parts ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   0 Comments )
Subject: Car parts
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: sepia-ga
List Price: $2.00
Posted: 09 May 2006 19:13 PDT
Expires: 08 Jun 2006 19:13 PDT
Question ID: 727129
what is a bumper absorber?Is it the white styrofoam substance I see
through my cracked bumper?I own a Celica.
Subject: Re: Car parts
Answered By: djbaker-ga on 09 May 2006 19:33 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Thanks for your interesting question.  In short a bumper absorber is
there to absorb an impact which the bumper assembly itself can't. 
Here is a longer explanation...

"The bumper absorber is a Styrofoam or plastic piece which is usually
placed between the bumper cover and reinforcement to help absorb
impact. As mentioned above, the bumper cover goes around and covers
the front end while this reinforcement is a metal or aluminum bar
which is mounted on the car frame. Sometimes, impact during collisions
is so strong that the bumper alone cannot take this. That is why this
bumper absorber, as the name implies, helps absorb some of this impact
to better protect the front end of your vehicle. By absorbing the said
impact, less damage can be done to the vehicle, and so the car owner
will not have to spend so much on replacement parts such as the
headlight and grille"

So yes, it would appear that this is the white styrofoam that you see
through the crack in your bumper.  If you need anything cleared up,
please request a clarification and I will be happy to help.


Search Terms:
bumper absorber
sepia-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars and gave an additional tip of: $1.00
Very clear an informative info.

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy