Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: California welfare/benefits ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   0 Comments )
Subject: California welfare/benefits
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: cginsd-ga
List Price: $25.00
Posted: 09 May 2006 21:16 PDT
Expires: 08 Jun 2006 21:16 PDT
Question ID: 727160
What benefits/charity are available for a 54 year old single man in
the San Diego CA area after moving here from Utah? He has no independent
income, but two daughters who live in the area.

Request for Question Clarification by cynthia-ga on 09 May 2006 22:00 PDT
Are you disabled? The reason I'm asking is I doubt there are any
benefits available for an 54 year old able-bodied single male.

Were you getting some type of benefits in Utah?  What kind and for what?

Clarification of Question by cginsd-ga on 10 May 2006 11:42 PDT
He has early stages of lung cancer and is an alcoholic and his
difficulty will be finding and holding a job rather than his inability
to do one.

I am interested in assisted housing and medical coverage for example.
Subject: Re: California welfare/benefits
Answered By: alanna-ga on 10 May 2006 17:52 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Hi cginsd-ga ?

There are a variety of courses you can take to get assistance for your
father if he is disabled.  Early-stage lung cancer may very well
qualify him to be classified as disabled, but this has to be
established to the satisfaction of the agencies to which you are
applying for help.

Four possible sources of help for your father would be: 

          SSI, a Federal program supplying income payments;
administered by the US Social Security Administration

          Medi-Cal, the California Medicaid program; administered by
the State of California.

          Food Stamps, a Federal program administered by the State.

          Cash Assistance (Relief), a State program administered by the County.

Note: If a person qualifies for SSI he will automatically get
Medi-Cal, but will not be eligible for Food Stamps.

Lung cancer may entitle your father to payments under the Federal
government's SSI Program.

From the SSI website:

"SSI stands for Supplemental Security Income. Social Security
administers this program.

"We pay monthly benefits to people with limited income and resources
who are disabled, blind, or age 65 or older...."

Step by step instructions for applying for SSI stress that the
applicant must provide to the SS office a completed Application;
Medical Proof of the disability (or inability to work); and Proof of
Need.  These are spelled out at:

Documents needed to apply for SSI:

Social Security Number
Proof of age (e.g., birth certificate or other documents showing your
date of birth)
Proof of citizenship (e.g., birth or baptismal certificate, passport
Proof of income (e.g., if any)
Proof of resources (e.g., bank statements, deed of house, life insurance policies)
Proof of living arrangements (e.g., rent receipt, SSN's of other
family members  in a household)
Medical sources (reports of medical condition; names, addresses of
doctors with dates of last treatment)
Work history (jobs held, dates, days worked per week in the 15 years
before disability set in)


"What is Medi-Cal

"Medi-Cal is California?s Medicaid health care program. This program
pays for a variety of medical services for children and adults with
limited income and resources. Medi-Cal is supported by federal and
state taxes. You can apply for Medi-Cal benefits regardless of sex,
race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, marital
status, age, disability, or veteran status. If you are found (or
determined) eligible, you can continue to get Medi-Cal as long as you
continue to meet the eligibility requirements."

"Who can get Medi-Cal?

"People in many different situations qualify for Medi-Cal. They are
listed below. ...

"You may automatically be eligible for Medi-Cal if you receive cash
assistance under one of the following programs:

    * SSI/SSP (Supplemental Security Income/State Supplemental Program)
    * CalWORKs (California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to
Kids). Previously called Aid to Families with Dependent Children
    * Refugee Assistance
    * Foster Care or Adoption Assistance Program.

"Even if you don?t receive cash assistance, you may be eligible for
Medi-Cal if you are one of the following:

    * 65 or older
    * Blind
    * Disabled" 

To see the steps in the  Medi-Cal application process go to the website below:

Your San Diego County Medi-Cal Office has the following web address:



"Who can receive food stamp benefits?

"You may be eligible to receive food stamp benefits, whether or not
you work, if you have a low income."

"Where do I go to apply for food stamp benefits?

There are over 240 food stamp offices in California operated by local
county welfare departments. Low-income people may apply for food
stamps at any office located in the county where they live. To find
information on your county click on the link County Welfare

CASH ASSISTANCE (General Assistance/General Relief)

THE GA/GR programs are administered by the county.  Most often
recipients are households with children.  Here is the website of the
SanDiego office concerned with general relief. It has a phone number
so you could perhaps talk to someone about the possibilities for help.

I'd like to remind you that a person receiving SSI benefits cannot get
Food Stamps.  As I mentioned above, if your father qualifies for SSI,
they will enroll him in Medi-Cal.

The most beneficial source of help seems to be SSI.  It is unlikely
that your father would qualify for Medi-Cal without it, although
separate evidence for disability could be presented to Medi-Cal
without SSI.

Perhaps the best thing to do is make two visits: one to the Social
Security Administration Office nearest you
(  and the other to the
County Welfare Office 

It is a guess, but I imagine that a sympathetic physician would be
very helpful in your quest to help out your father. For SSI, a
physician must attest to the medical condition which makes it unlikely
or impossible for your father to sustain a job.

I am not an attorney or an official, so I can only suggest the above
websites as resources for you to follow.  I wish you luck in getting
assistance for your father.

All the best,


Request for Answer Clarification by cginsd-ga on 10 May 2006 19:35 PDT
Hi Alanna-ga,
Thank you for the full answer - can you tell me whether you believe
these to be the only avenues of attack? Of specific interest, did you
turn up nothing for low income housing or is he not/dis-qualified?

Clarification of Answer by alanna-ga on 10 May 2006 20:36 PDT
After further review of the website information in the Answer, you
will probably come to the conclusion that establishing your father as
disabled is a good first step in getting further benefits.

The form on the following page indictates that "disabled" is the only
category your father might fit into.  He is not elderly or a family,
the other categories for Federal subsidy.

I also think that getting the help of the Social Security office and
the San Diego County welfare office is more or less essential as a
first step.  What lies ahead for you is a lot of form-filling and
application-making; it's probably better to do this in an orderly
fashion, rather than by a scatter-shot approach.

If you wish to check further on the matter of subsidized housing, you can contact: 

     San Diego Housing Commission
     1625 Newton Avenue, San Diego, CA 92113

     Phone: (619)231-9400
     Fax: (619)235-4537 	

cginsd-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy