Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Canada Customs question ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   0 Comments )
Subject: Canada Customs question
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: pineflat-ga
List Price: $50.00
Posted: 13 May 2006 15:53 PDT
Expires: 12 Jun 2006 15:53 PDT
Question ID: 728542
My wife and I live in Northern Canada.  The kitchen in our double-wide
trailer is built to accomodate a 24 inch wide wall oven.  However, I
learned today that there are NO 24 inch wall ovens CSA-Approved for
sale in Canada!  If I get a relative to buy one for me in the USA
(there is a lovely Kitchenaid model that would be just right; it's
UL-Approved), can he ship the new wall oven to me in Canada, or will
it get stopped at the border?

Request for Question Clarification by leapinglizard-ga on 13 May 2006 20:05 PDT
It seems that provincial laws require CSA or C-UL certification for
electrical appliances, so the KitchenAid model is legal only if there
is a C next to the UL mark.

    Provincial laws in Canada stipulate that electrical appliances 
    connected to a public power source (commercial power source)
    must conform to CSA Standards.
    To show that a product conforms to CSA Standards, the manufacturer 
    needs to obtain C-UL certification or CSA certification, or the 
    seller needs to directly apply for certification to the officials
    of individual provinces.
Sensor Central: North American Standard: UL, FDA, ANSI, FCC, and CSA

    C-UL Listing Mark
    This mark is applied to products for the Canadian market. The 
    products with this type of mark have been evaluated to Canadian
    safety requirements, which may be somewhat different from
    U.S. safety requirements. You will see this type of Mark on
    appliances and computer equipment, vending machines, household
    burglar alarm systems, lighting fixtures, and many other types
    of products.


    C-UL US Listing Mark

    UL introduced this new Listing Mark in early 1998. It indicates 
    compliance with both Canadian and U.S. requirements. The
    Canada/U.S. UL Mark is optional. UL encourages those manufacturers
    with products certified for both countries to use this new, 
    combined Mark, but they may continue using separate UL Marks
    for the United States and Canada.

Underwriters Laboratories: UL's Marks: North America

Does that answer your question, or were you asking about the
probability that an illegal electrical appliance would be intercepted
at the border?


Clarification of Question by pineflat-ga on 13 May 2006 22:57 PDT
Dear leapinglizard,
Thank you.  You have answered our question.  We will look for the C-UL
Subject: Re: Canada Customs question
Answered By: leapinglizard-ga on 14 May 2006 00:45 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Dear pineflat,

Thank you for accepting my answer. In addition to the information
above, it may interest you to know that the following pair of 24-inch
electric wall ovens from Frigidaire are CSA-approved and come with
warranties that are valid in Canada, though I have not found them for
sale in Canada. They are available from AJ Madison in the States. The
Frigidaire website has a full set of guides and manuals for each

AJ Madison: FEB24S2AB

Frigidaire: FEB24S2AB

AJ Madison: FEB24S5AB

Frigidaire: FEB24S5AB



Search strategy:

24 inch wall oven csa approved
pineflat-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars
Delighted with leapinglizard's answer, especially after leapinglizard
identified 2 24 inch electric wall ovens that have CSA approval,
though I hadn't thought to ask that specific question.

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy