Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: retractible phone cord for the uk ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   0 Comments )
Subject: retractible phone cord for the uk
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: rebguy-ga
List Price: $10.00
Posted: 16 May 2006 11:28 PDT
Expires: 15 Jun 2006 11:28 PDT
Question ID: 729428

I'm looking for a retractible phone cord for the UK.

These are the type that are rolled up when the receiver is down and as
you lift the receiver, the cord comes out. When you replace the
receiver, it automatically winds itself up again.

I can buy them for America, where they use a different connecter.

I think here in the UK we use RJ11 or something, but you may want to
check that. In any case, it's a different from America.

Can you find me a supplier of these elasticated auto-wind up telephone
cords for the UK, or give me a definative "They don't exist".

Many thanks indeed.
Subject: Re: retractible phone cord for the uk
Answered By: hummer-ga on 16 May 2006 13:28 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Hi rebguy,

Here you go - 

1. Automatic Retract:
Kensington Retractable Telephone Cable  7.38
* Retractable modem cable with Euro adapters (UK,France,Germany)
* Uses ultra light, Thin, Durable Cable to produce the world smallest
& lightest Telephone/modem cable
* RJ-11 cables automatically retract into the housing in seconds to
protect and organise the cable while on the move.
* Includes French, UK, and German simplex analogue adapters
* 2 year manufacturer's warranty

2. Retractable Handset Cords Double Pull 2.50
 * Special cable is flat, lightweight, and highly durable, provides
easy, trouble-free retraction.
 * Durable strength to withstand repeated pulling and retracting.

3. Auto Retractable Telephone Cord 1.99

4. Button Retract
Macally Retractable RJ11 Telephone Cord 8.45 
* Provides 14 feet of telephone cable for mobile users
? Tangle free high quality flat cords
? Retracts conveniently with a touch of a button
? Sleek and compact design in Ice white finish
? Connector type : (2) RJ-11 connectors
? Cable type : 14 feet twisted pair

5. Manual Retract:
Kensington Retractable Telephone Cable  6.99 inc VAT
Telephone Extension Reel 15m
Two telephone sockets in centre of reel
Manual retract

Additionals Link of Interest:

Targus Retractable Phone, Ethernet & USB Cord - USB/network cable 13.55

Targus Retractable Modem Cord 2.95 inc vat

Targus Retractable Modem Cord 1 used from 9.99

Retractable RJ11 phone and modem cable 9.95 inc VAT

I was glad to work on this for you. If you have any questions, please
post a clarification request and wait for me to respond before
closing/rating my answer.

Thank you,

Google Search Terms Used: retractable phone telephone cable cord uk

Request for Answer Clarification by rebguy-ga on 17 May 2006 06:53 PDT
Sorry - it was my mistake.

I have previously bought a product like the ones you have listed
there. Unfortuantely it didn't work.

I erroniously thought it was the difference between the UK and US
wiring standards. I have since discovered that in the UK, between the
receiver of a telephone and the base unit, or from the wall to the
base unit, we also use an RJ11, albeit perhaps with a different

My problem is that at work we use the INDeX telephone system, with
special INDeX handsets manufactured by people like Lucent and Avaya.
These are standards compliant and look broadly the same regardless of

We all use DT3 handsets at work which are a type of INDeX handset.

My problem is that the curly cords they come with, which get horribly
knotted such that I want to replace them with something retractible,
don't use a standard RJ11 socket. They do use one from the phone's
base unit to the RJ45 floor socket, but they don't between the base
unit and the receiver.

They have something very similar but that is a couple of milimetres
smaller than a typical RJ11.

I don't suppose they make retractible cords for this. I have no idea
what kind of standard it uses or the name of the type of jack used.

Sorry to have misinformed you originally. If you can't answer the
question now, or don't want to, that's fine. There's probably no
answer to give in any case.

So that's what the deal is. Many thanks for the effort,


Clarification of Answer by hummer-ga on 17 May 2006 08:22 PDT
Hi rebguy,

Look what I found! Not a retractable but maybe better or at least the
next best thing?

TUK Telephone Untangling Device
"The TUK untangler is a small device that stops the curly cord from
becoming tangled, a compact and robust device, it puts an end to
knotted telephone handset cords."

rebguy-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars
You answered the question I asked perfectly well, and when the
question turned out to be flawed, you tried to find me an alternative.

Thank you.

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy