Ok, I?ve mulled it over (and over and over) and though I?ve considered
both Elvis and Marilyn Monroe, I have to go with my gut and propose
that Lucille Ball be the fifth all-time great. Since it seems that
we?re mostly considering celebrities for the position I think it?s
appropriate to pick someone well known and talented who doesn?t
already enjoy such grand shrine-like worship (Elvis has Graceland and
Marilyn, well, Marilyn has her looks). I am a huge fan of ?I Love
Lucy? and have even visited her hometown of Jamestown, NY. (While it?s
no Graceland, it is quaint and fun for any Lucy fan.) I highly
recommend it for any Lucy fan.
Jamestown has a population of about 30,000.
I think Lucy needs more exposure. And here are 10 reasons why she
deserves to be the fifth great to represent the United States.
1. It?s about time we get a woman up there (that adds diversity to the mount).
2. She makes us laugh (it can be argued that this also adds diversity
to the mount).
3. This is one of my personal favorite trivia facts about ?I Love Lucy.?
?Never off the air in 54 years, I Love Lucy has been shown in 77
countries, in 22 languages. According to TV Guide, it is on television
24 hours a day, seven days a week, somewhere in the world.?
She should be on the mountain for that alone!
4. She?s ingenious--she made a career out of being tall and awkward and hilarious.
5. She?s had practice being a statue once already.
6. While every woman can dream of looking like Marilyn, more women can
relate to looking like Lucy. We have enough model-beautiful women all
over TV, movie screens, and magazines. Let?s have an every woman?s
woman represent us all in a national park!
7. She?s had lots of practice in dealing with grumpy old men (Ahem, Fred Mertz).
8. Lucy Ricardo has spent her entire television life trying to break
into show business. How apropos to give her a spot on the mount!
9. She has practice hobnobbing with celebrities; so, being up there
with former presidents shouldn?t make her too uncomfortable.
10. Since a national park should be family friendly, we must ensure
that a strong gust of wind not reveal too much. Lucy?s smart skirts
are more likely to handle such weather than Marilyn?s.
Of course lots of things can be done to enhance the whole national
park experience with Lucy on the mount. ?I Love Lucy? theme music can
play when tourists put in a quarter and press their heads against the
binoculars to get a better look at Lucy. And of course the gift shop
can be infused with pink and red trinkets celebrating our new fifth
great. Every visitor could get a gift box of chocolates. Oh, and extra
measures would have to be taken to ensure that vandals don?t spray
paint her hair red!
Hmmm. As I sit here and consider the possibilities, it occurs to me
that 50 years from now someone might propose similar ideas, only with
your own Simon Cowell as the fifth (or sixth?) great. I can see it
now--American Idol tchotchkes and the like all around the premises!
Having a Brit on the mount could be interesting?a symbol of
international diversity? If a Brit were to be considered, what about
Princess Diana? Or Margaret Thatcher? Oh, I?d better stop. This is a
whole other topic! But it?s fun to consider!
Thank you again for asking for me specifically! I am sooooo very
flattered to add answering a probonopublico question to my GAR résumé.
What a treat! If you have need of further clarification, please let me
know how I can help. Thank you again!