Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Canadian Visitors in the United States ( Answered,   1 Comment )
Subject: Canadian Visitors in the United States
Category: Relationships and Society > Law
Asked by: jennniferleigh-ga
List Price: $10.00
Posted: 22 May 2006 16:33 PDT
Expires: 21 Jun 2006 16:33 PDT
Question ID: 731462
I am a Canadian citizen wanting to visit a friend in the United States
for 4 months (August-December)? I want to return to Canada for
Christmas then go back to the United States and continue my visit.
Will I have any problems returning to the United States? How much time
must elapse between visits? Will I require a visitor visa for either
visit if they do not exceed 6 months? Can I apply for a visitor visa
while in the United States to extend my stay for up to a year?
Subject: Re: Canadian Visitors in the United States
Answered By: alanna-ga on 24 May 2006 19:54 PDT
Hello jennniferleigh-ga ?

Thanks for using Google Answers.

For an ordinary visit to the US?that means you are a tourist or
business person, have no intention of staying permanently, and you can
support yourself while there?a Canadian citizen may enter without a
visa.  You don't even have to have a passport as long as you can
demonstrate your citizenship in other ways (Canadian birth certificate
or Citizenship Card). But it is recommended that you have a passport. 
Also, you may be asked about your commitment to returning to Canada to
live and about your resources and permanent residence in Canada.

From the US consulate website:

"Canadians are not currently required to have a passport to enter the
USA, but a passport is the best travel document. If you wish to travel
to the U.S. without a passport, you must be able to demonstrate your
citizenship and your identity. Citizenship documents would be an
original Canadian birth certificate or your Citizenship Card. Photo
Identification would be a Drivers License or a Health Card."

"Visitors may also be asked to show commitments in Canada, such as
proof of employment or proof of residence. .... In addition,
applicants for entry into the US must have evidence that they have
sufficient funds to support themselves during their stay in the U.S.
and that they intend to return to Canada at the end of such stay.
Determination of eligibility to be admitted into the U.S. is made by
the Department of Homeland Security inspectors at the port of entry."

There is in fact, no such thing as a "visitor" visa.  A Canadian
citizen entering the US as a tourist (or person doing business in the
US) can do so without a visa.  If, however, a person wants to stay
permanently, they require an immigrant (permanent resident) visa and
have to go through the visa-application process (in Canada).

"Canadian citizens do not require visas to enter the U.S., except when
coming as immigrants (permanent residents), or in the following
non-immigrant categories: Diplomatic ("A" and "G" visas), Treaty
Trader/ Treaty Investor ("E" visas), FiancÚ(e) of U.S. citizens
("K1/K2" visas), or spouse of a U.S. citizen (K3/K4 visas)."


"Citizens of Canada are exempt from the visa and passport requirement
of Immigration and Nationality Act (section 212(a)(7).) To enter the
United States, a Canadian citizen must be able to establish both
identity and citizenship."

Neither the US  Immigration Service nor the Department of Homeland
security has set precise limits for staying in the US, as long as the
visitor is a tourist or on business.  However, visa holders (not
necessary for a tourist) should show that their passports are valid
for six months beyond their initial period of stay in the US.  Perhaps
that is where you got the six month idea.

And, note below that the six-month stay refers to people entering the
US on visitor visas (not necessary for Canadian citizens).

"Those entering on visitor visas will generally be granted 6 months
admission (the maximum allowable is one year) on entry. It may be
possible to obtain a six-month extension to the visit visa as long as
the candidate will be maintaining visitor status, and there are good
reasons to do so"

From the Department of Homeland Security

There exists an Arrival-Departure document called the I-94.  This is
filled out at the US border at the time of initial entry, and it is
returned at departure.

"Canadians who travel to the United States as a tourist or on business
generally do not need the I-94 Form."

It may be a good idea to familiarize yourself with the I-94 form
anyway,  which you can do at:

It is a good idea to be mindful of the heightened security measures at
the US borders.  You can expect to be asked about the length of your
planned stay in the US and whether you can support yourself during
this time. Unexpected questions may also be asked of anyone crossing
into the US.

For further information about visiting the US, a good pamphlet to read
is "USA Bound: Advice for Canadian Travellers"

Also pointers to make your trip abroad "safe and sound" can be found at:

Before closing, I'd like to state that I am not an attorney nor is
anything in this answer meant to be advice.  I'm sure you understand
that there is no predicting whether you will have "problems" or not. 
The regulations cited above seem to point to "not,"  but anything is
possible.  With regard to your questions about getting a visa in the
future, let me repeat that tourists and business people who are
Canadian citizens do not require visas.
All the best,


Search terms:
US Consulate Canada
Canadian citizens length of stay
Immigration US Canadian
Subject: Re: Canadian Visitors in the United States
From: mister4u-ga on 23 May 2006 08:39 PDT
These are the Immigration websites for the Gvernment of Canada.
If you can't find the answer on the first two pages the third gives
you contact information.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy