Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Turning my car into a convertible ( No Answer,   5 Comments )
Subject: Turning my car into a convertible
Category: Sports and Recreation > Automotive
Asked by: fatvisionary-ga
List Price: $3.00
Posted: 23 May 2006 16:20 PDT
Expires: 22 Jun 2006 16:20 PDT
Question ID: 731808
I own a 1997 Plymouth Neon (the two-door Highline coupe edition). It's
a great car, but I'd like it much more if it were a convertible. Is it
possible/legal/safe to have an auto body shop remove the roof of my
car? If so, are there any places in the Bay Area that would do this?
There is no answer at this time.

Subject: Re: Turning my car into a convertible
From: pinkfreud-ga on 23 May 2006 16:24 PDT
Convertible conversion isn't cheap, but it can be done. A friend of
mine got good results from Newport Convertible Engineering (formerly
Newport Car Conversions):
Subject: Re: Turning my car into a convertible
From: karmaticone-ga on 23 May 2006 19:24 PDT
Turning a car into a convertible isn?t as simple as cutting the top
off.  When a car rolls off the lot, it is specifically designed to
look the way it does, once you remove a large portion of it such as
the top, it will throw a lot of key factors offline such as the weight
distribution and thus the handling.  Volkswagen had a real hard time
turning its new Beatle Bug into a convertible so be weary of companies
who claim to be able to do such drastic changes for you.
Subject: Re: Turning my car into a convertible
From: steph53-ga on 23 May 2006 19:33 PDT
Just my 2 cents worth...


A Neon of any kind is just not worth spending money on...

They are "disposable cars"....much like the lighters...

They die all too soon...

Subject: Re: Turning my car into a convertible
From: probonopublico-ga on 23 May 2006 22:03 PDT
Have you thought of driving into a low tunnel?
Subject: Re: Turning my car into a convertible
From: frde-ga on 24 May 2006 05:19 PDT
There is something called 'monocoque construction'
- probably incorrectly spelt, but it means the roof helps hold things together.

In the old days, when cars had a chassis, they would cut the lids off
cars and weld the back doors together. It used to work on Jags.

Not so handy for a two door, but my hunch is that you could substitute
the lid for some roll bars.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy