Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Secure form of Payment? ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   1 Comment )
Subject: Secure form of Payment?
Category: Business and Money
Asked by: spax-ga
List Price: $8.00
Posted: 05 Jun 2006 03:11 PDT
Expires: 05 Jul 2006 03:11 PDT
Question ID: 735390
If I buy something using a TT banking wire transfer, and the company
decides to not ship the product to me and rip me off, is there a way I
can easily get my money back?
Subject: Re: Secure form of Payment?
Answered By: answerfinder-ga on 05 Jun 2006 04:38 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Dear spax-ga,

A Wire Transfer, Telex Transfer (TT), or EFT (electronic funds
transfer), is a payment from one bank to another. For the company it
ensures that payment is received before the goods are shipped. From
your side, as the receiving bank places the money in the account to
which it is directed you have some security in that the money has gone
to that valid, designated account within that bank. That, however, is
as far as it goes. You cannot recall the money back from that account
if the goods are not delivered. It is a matter for you and the company
to resolve. There is also nothing to stop that company from closing
that account.

A further problem is that companies like Western Union offer a type of
wire transfer which is not traceable and can be easily used in fraud.
I advise you strongly never to use this type of company to transfer
money. This page contains additional information.

Now moving to your question ?is there a way I can easily get my money
back??. The general answer is no; especially if they are not located
in the same country that you are in, or are not a well-known and
reputable company, or they had no intention of sending the goods in
the first place. Some countries have consumer protection regulations
and you would have to refer to these if you are located in the same
country to see what protection and enforcement they offer. If located
elsewhere, again you would have to check their regulations, most, I
would suspect, only offer protection for ?internal transactions?. If
you have no success in the avenue, then you would have to mount a
civil action. Again this is problematic if you are based in another
country or state, and it can in some jurisdictions, be very expensive,
or even impossible. If you suspect fraud, you could always report it
to the police authority where the company is based, but any action on
this is difficult to predict, but it is very unlikely your money would
be recovered.

I suggest that you do not make wire payments to unknown, or unproved
suppliers; that you try and pay by credit card as most credit card
companies will provide some protection in purchases (check with your
credit card company). Or use an escrow company. Be careful, there are
some fraudulent companies operating in this area. This is one genuine

I hope this answers your question. If it does not, or the answer is
unclear, then please ask for clarification of this research before
rating the answer. I shall respond to the clarification request as
soon as I receive it.
Thank you

Search strategy
Personal knowledge as a former Police Officer
spax-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars and gave an additional tip of: $1.01
Thanks, you completely answered my question and I now no longer have
to worry about these types of decisions, thanks.

Subject: Re: Secure form of Payment?
From: answerfinder-ga on 06 Jun 2006 01:13 PDT
Dear spax-ga,
Thank you for the tip. Pleased I could help.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy