Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: California business charging sales tax ( Answered,   0 Comments )
Subject: California business charging sales tax
Category: Business and Money > Small Businesses
Asked by: tightbooks-ga
List Price: $5.00
Posted: 05 Jun 2006 14:48 PDT
Expires: 05 Jul 2006 14:48 PDT
Question ID: 735536
Does a California business apply sales tax to sales outside of the
state? Also if same business is vending at a out of state affair do
they charge sales tax?
Subject: Re: California business charging sales tax
Answered By: taxmama-ga on 11 Jun 2006 12:13 PDT
Dear tightbooks,

Typically, businesses in California must charge sales taxes on 
all goods delivered in California. 

If products are purchased from people out of state - and shipped to 
an out of state address, you do not need to charge California sales tax.

You asked about collecting sales tax when you are selling at an out of state

a) You will not need to charge California sales tax.

b) You will have to find out about the rules for the state in which you
are making the sales. That state may have a sales tax requirement. 

Often, the organizers of the event can help you get a short-term 
sales tax license, just for the event. 

I don't know if they still do, but I remember back in the 1960s the
State of California's sales tax folks used to prowl swap meets and find
any of the sellers who didn't have permits. They would sign them up and 
have them pay for one on the spot. And instruct them to collect sales taxes.

Perhaps other states have similar arrangements?

Incidentally, I find that if you go into a local State Board of Equalization
office or call the local office directly, you're apt to get answers to your
questions. Don't call on Mondays or Friday afternoons - their lines are busy.
Best time to call? I'd say Tuesday afternoon or anytime Wednesday - at least
from my experience. Here are the phone numbers and addresses for the 
local offices.

Best wishes,

Your TaxMama-ga
There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy