Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: 3d prints ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   1 Comment )
Subject: 3d prints
Category: Business and Money > Advertising and Marketing
Asked by: fons_from_be-ga
List Price: $5.00
Posted: 06 Jun 2006 07:39 PDT
Expires: 06 Jul 2006 07:39 PDT
Question ID: 735713
I have a question about those small sheets of ribbed plastic you find
as a gadget in cereal and such.
the back side of this little sheets of platic is printed on.
If you look from different angles at the plastic you see different
prints. This technique makes it possible to add animation of a few
frames or add 3d-effect.

My question is twofold:
1) What is the name of this print-technique?
2) Where can I find a printer in Belgium (or abroad, but willing to
ship to belgium) that makes these?
Subject: Re: 3d prints
Answered By: palitoy-ga on 06 Jun 2006 08:35 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Hello fons_from_be-ga,

Thank-you for your question.

The name of images produced using this technique are lenticular
pictures.  They are also sometimes known as auto stereograms.

"The term Lenticular is often confused as a printed image that shows
depth or motion as the viewing angle changes. But in general
Lenticular is a term for the lens effect that creates a convex
perspective of multiple images or light sources, but not necessarily a
physical printed image. This lenticular technology can be used to
create a lenticular image through the process of Lenticular printing. 
Examples of Lenticular printing include flip and animation effects
such as the winking eyes that were given as the prize in Cracker Jack
snack boxes to modern airport advertising graphics that change their
message depending on the viewing angle. This technology was created in
the 1940s but has evolved in recent years to show more motion and
increased depth. Originally used mostly in novelty items, lenticular
prints are now being used as a marketing tool to show products in

There is an excellent description of the whole process here:

There are a number of commercial printers of these products and most
would be willing to produce a design of your own should the quantity
be large enough.  I have listed a few from Europe below:

Think 3D:

Convergence Point:

The Lenticular Plastic Company Of Europe:




If you require any further assistance on this subject please ask for clarification.
fons_from_be-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars and gave an additional tip of: $2.00

Subject: Re: 3d prints
From: palitoy-ga on 09 Jun 2006 05:39 PDT
Thank-you for the 5-star rating and tip!  They are appreciated.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy