Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Ultrasonic "stirring" of fluid (external transducers) ( No Answer,   1 Comment )
Subject: Ultrasonic "stirring" of fluid (external transducers)
Category: Science > Physics
Asked by: k2d-ga
List Price: $25.00
Posted: 06 Jun 2006 14:35 PDT
Expires: 06 Jul 2006 14:35 PDT
Question ID: 735873
Is it posasible to use transducers outside of a vessel (i.e. coffee
cup)containing fluid and cause sufficient mixing/stirring/cavitation
to create a vortex that would mix coffee, milk and sugar?  How might
this be achieved?

Request for Question Clarification by sublime1-ga on 07 Jun 2006 00:36 PDT

A magnetic stirrer might be simpler, and more effective:

Clarification of Question by k2d-ga on 07 Jun 2006 08:36 PDT
A magnetic "bar" inserted innto the fluid would work; however, it
might also contaminate the fluid.  Would multiple ultrasonic
transducers that were positioned so that their sound waves collided
with each other create sufficient cavitation to mix the contents?



Request for Question Clarification by hedgie-ga on 23 Jun 2006 04:18 PDT
The issue is contact with the container. If you pour your coffee into a
 ultrasonic cleaner, it will get stirred. Transducers are built into the walls.

 If you put a coffee cup into field strong enough to mix content, you will
 very likely pulverize the ceramic cup. 

 If washing/sterilising the bar is not enough,
 what about sealing a magnetic bar into disposable sterile  plastic

You can always get fancy:

How much many you want to spend and what level of 'contamination'  is acceptable?
There is no answer at this time.

Subject: Re: Ultrasonic "stirring" of fluid (external transducers)
From: redfoxjumps-ga on 08 Jun 2006 02:42 PDT
Most drafting rooms have/had ultrasonic cleaners for ink pens.

Labs have them too. Some are quite large quart or gallon and some have
a removable stainless steel bucket or beaker.

You can see standing waves in some of them when the operate. baffles
might cause a stirring action.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy