Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: dual citizenships uk and usa ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   2 Comments )
Subject: dual citizenships uk and usa
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: smartrose-ga
List Price: $5.00
Posted: 09 Jun 2006 07:42 PDT
Expires: 09 Jul 2006 07:42 PDT
Question ID: 736683
I Owen dual citizenships u.s.a. and u.k. ,Is it legal to fly with two
passports on the same journey, for example entering the united states
with American passport and return to united kingdom with British
Subject: Re: dual citizenships uk and usa
Answered By: answerfinder-ga on 09 Jun 2006 08:54 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Dear smartrose-ga,

The general advice is to use the passport of the country which you are
entering or leaving at that time. In the case of the US there is a
requirement that you must use the US passport when entering or leaving
the US. This is set out in the Immigration and Nationality Act. I can
find no evidence that the UK makes that requirement but it does make
sense to speed up the immigration procedure to use the UK passport
when entering the UK.

Foreign and Commonwealth Office
"The British Consul will not provide consular assistance to you
regardless of which passport you have used to enter the country of
your other nationality."

"Some countries expect their dual nationals to travel on their
national passports under certain circumstances. You should check with
the authorities of your other nationality."

UK Embassy in Washington
"Although acquisition or use of US citizenship does not of itself
jeopardise retention of British citizenship, and there is not
objection on the part of British authorities to a dual citizen using a
US passport, it should not be assumed that the reverse is also true.
?The US authorities expect dual citizens to travel out of and into
United States territory only on US passports. British citizens who are
also US citizens are therefore advised to consult the US State
Department (or if overseas a US Consul) before taking any action which
might be regarded as inconsistent with their status as US citizens."

US Consulate information - Australia
"U.S. Policy on Dual Nationality
Which passport to use 
Section 215 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1185)
requires U.S. citizens to use U.S. passports when entering or leaving
the United States unless one of the exceptions listed in Section 53.2
of Title 22 of the Code of Federal Regulations applies. (One of these
exceptions permits a child under the age of 12, who is included in the
foreign passport of a parent who has no claim to U.S. citizenship, to
enter the United States without a U.S. passport, provided the child
presents evidenceof his/her U.S. citizenship when entering the United
States.) Dual nationals may be required by the other country of which
they are citizens to enter or leave that country using its passport,
but do not endanger their U.S. citizenship by complying with such a

Visa Advice web site
Q. I have dual nationality does it matter which passport I use when I travel? 
A. As a rule you should always arrive and depart either country of
your nationality with that nationalities passport. If you are applying
for a visa while in the UK you should always apply with the passport
that holds your Work/ Residents Permit."

Article on Dual Nationality - Bates Wells & Braithwaite, UK Solicitors.
"A British citizen seeking entry to the UK has a unrestricted right of
admission to the UK as a British citizen is not subject to immigration
control at the UK port of entry other than to identify that the
individual pictured on the passport is of the presenting individual.
If that individual also holds multiple nationalities it will not
detract from his/her right of entry."

I hope this answers your question. If it does not, or the answer is
unclear, then please ask for clarification of this research before
rating the answer. I shall respond to the clarification request as
soon as I receive it.
Thank you

Search strategy
?dual nationality" passport uk travel immigration
?dual nationality" passport uk 
?dual nationality" ?which passport? uk
smartrose-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars

Subject: Re: dual citizenships uk and usa
From: probonopublico-ga on 09 Jun 2006 07:49 PDT
I don't see why not.

But if your plane gets hi-jacked who would you prefer to rescue you?

The SAS or some trigger-happy Yanks who shoot first ...?
Subject: Re: dual citizenships uk and usa
From: multilingual-ga on 22 Jun 2006 12:44 PDT
There is a very good thread regarding this on the website.
As a dual UK/US citizen your are meant to file tax returns every year
even if you haven't set foot on US soil ever!!! A freakish policy
shared only with the Phillipines.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy