Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: special ultrasound equipment to seal glass ( No Answer,   0 Comments )
Subject: special ultrasound equipment to seal glass
Category: Science > Technology
Asked by: crutchfield-ga
List Price: $100.00
Posted: 18 Jun 2006 09:18 PDT
Expires: 18 Jul 2006 09:18 PDT
Question ID: 739136
I have small glass tubes that I wish to fill with liquid and then seal
them closed.  One end is open; one end is closed, so I only need to
close one end, once the liquid is in place.  The tubes are about the
size of a pencil, but only about 1/3 the length.  The tubes are made
of borosilicate glass, manufactured by the Kimble glass company. 
Traditionally, the open end is melted closed/sealed with a
flame/torch, but the liquid I am using is flammable.  I've been told
that in such cases the open glass end can be 'cool sealed' closed with
specialized ultrasound/ ultrasonic  equipment.
My question is 2-fold; 1.  Where can I purchase ultrasound equipment
that seals glass tubes that I have described and   2.  Are there
companies who will seal the glass tubes with ultrasound for me?

Request for Question Clarification by bobbie7-ga on 18 Jun 2006 15:46 PDT
Hello Dr. Crutchfield,

I?m not sure if this is what you?re looking for.

Ultrasonic sealing

Ultrasonic sealing is a process that fuses two materials together
using alternating electrical power. This creates a high frequency
oscillating sound energy, which flexes a metal tool, or "horn", in the
weld zone. This vibration causes the projection to melt and flow
across the joint. As the molten material solidifies the weld is
achieved. The resultant joint strength approaches that of the parent
material; with proper part and joint design, hermetic seals are

Pittsburgh Plastics 
Custom Contract Manufacturing


Clarification of Question by crutchfield-ga on 29 Jun 2006 14:41 PDT
thanks.  this company does plastic only.  I am looking for one that does glass.

Request for Question Clarification by bobbie7-ga on 04 Jul 2006 11:09 PDT
Dear Dr. Crutchfield,

What about Induction Sealing?

Induction sealing provides a convenient, fast and cost-effective
method for hermetically sealing containers made from almost any

What container materials can be sealed ?
Most container materials can be sealed, including glass

According to this article there would be no danger in using this
method for to seal flamable liquids.
Read the complete article here:

Portable induction sealers are available here

Would this method be suitable?


Request for Question Clarification by bobbie7-ga on 04 Jul 2006 11:12 PDT
Other portable induction sealers

Request for Question Clarification by bobbie7-ga on 04 Jul 2006 12:30 PDT
The CS Plus Jr. 
Lepel's portable CS Plus Jr. is specifically designed for hand-held
cap sealing, in low production applications or in laboratory
development programs. It offers the simplest and least costly method
for applying induction cap seals.

Clarification of Question by crutchfield-ga on 05 Jul 2006 08:22 PDT
I will look into it.  The glass tubes I am trying to seal are the
diameter of a pencil, so I don't knwo how this will work.  I will call
them and let u know.
Dr. C
ps why is there no 'answers icon' on the info page?????/

Request for Question Clarification by bobbie7-ga on 05 Jul 2006 15:08 PDT
Dear Dr.Crutchfield,

Thank you for getting back to me.

The CS Plus Jr seals closures from 5mm to 120mm

The diameter of a pencil is betweeen 7mm to 8mm diameter so this system may work.

I look forward to your clarification.


We don't know why the Google Answers icon is not on the U.S. info
page, but you can reach Google Answers from here:

://   and then click on the word MORE.
There is no answer at this time.

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy