Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Getting my grandma to "immigrate" to California from overseas ( No Answer,   0 Comments )
Subject: Getting my grandma to "immigrate" to California from overseas
Category: Family and Home > Seniors
Asked by: amazonbay-ga
List Price: $100.00
Posted: 20 Jun 2006 16:21 PDT
Expires: 20 Jul 2006 16:21 PDT
Question ID: 739794
I live in California and I want to get my grandmother over here from India.

I am a US citizen, born in India. I have paperwork in process for my
78 year old mother for a green card. But there as far as I can tell,
there is no law permitting my father's stepmother (or any grandmother)
to immigrate as far as I know. She is 85 years old and I can't leave
her alone overseas. Two related questions

1) How can I get her over here for an "extended" visit, which may
extend until she dies? In this post 9/11 world, I am a little queasy
about attracting the ire of the Department of Homeland Security, in
case they decide that an 85 year old woman who can barely walk is a
security threat <g>? Surely others have grandmas overseas but I can't
find anyone I know who has ideas.

2) How can I minimize the financial risk of having two old women in my
care, in particular the medical bills when something happens to

Thanks for any ideas

Request for Question Clarification by czh-ga on 20 Jun 2006 18:45 PDT
Hello amazonbay-ga,

I?ve done some preliminary research on your questions and I?m afraid
that the results are negative.

1) You will not be able to sponsor your step-grandmother for
immigration to the US and she does not seem to meet any other category
of eligibility for admission as a permanent resident. It is unlikely
that she would receive a temporary visitor visa because these require
that you convince the consular official that you will return home.

2) One of the requirements of sponsoring a relative is that you must
file an Affidavit of Support. It is also unlikely that your mother
will qualify for Medicaid or other government sponsored health
insurance so you will be taking responsibility for her medical bills.

I?m sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Will you accept the fully
detailed explanation and documentation of these findings as an answer
to your question.

I look forward to your clarification.

~ czh ~
There is no answer at this time.

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy