Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Roth IRA and Working Abroad ( No Answer,   1 Comment )
Subject: Roth IRA and Working Abroad
Category: Business and Money > Accounting
Asked by: empanadita-ga
List Price: $10.00
Posted: 22 Jun 2006 14:15 PDT
Expires: 22 Jul 2006 14:15 PDT
Question ID: 740297
Can a US citizen working abroad for a foreign company contribute to a
Roth IRA and what are the limits?
Assume the citizen meets all requirements to be considered a foregn
resident by the IRS.
There is no answer at this time.

Subject: Re: Roth IRA and Working Abroad
From: davinoadam-ga on 23 Jun 2006 10:03 PDT
I lived in Germany for four years (2001 to 2005) and contributed to my
Roth IRA every year.  My pay was deposited into a US bank account, I
was paid in US dollars and I DID pay US income tax every year.  You
are required to to have W2 reported income equal to or greater than
the amount you deposit in your Roth IRA ($4000 per person per year
right now).  If you are trying to get out of US taxes and still
contribute to your IRA it may be trickier.

Good luck!

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy