Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Getting married legally by US citzens in Spain ( Answered,   1 Comment )
Subject: Getting married legally by US citzens in Spain
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: kvrc-ga
List Price: $2.00
Posted: 22 Jun 2006 16:11 PDT
Expires: 22 Jul 2006 16:11 PDT
Question ID: 740329
My son is getting married in spain in october, what does he need to do
to make it legal in the USA?.They are both citizens of the US.
Subject: Re: Getting married legally by US citzens in Spain
Answered By: alanna-ga on 22 Jun 2006 18:09 PDT
Hi kvrc-ga -

As long as your son is legally married in Spain, his marriage will be
recognized in the United States.  From the US Department of State,
Bureau of Consular Affairs:

"In general, legal and valid marriages abroad are also legally valid
in the United States. Should the parties contracting marriage have any
questions about the validity of a marriage performed abroad, they
should contact the Attorney General of the state or states of domicile
of the parties." 

The second sentence in the above quote should not be a cause for
alarm.  It appears to be language inserted in recognition of the fact
that States regulate marriage in the US.

Another thing to note are the worlds "legal and valid."  Thus the rest
of the US Embassy directive on marrying in Spain is important.

I am a US citizen who was married in Italy. The legality of my
marriage has never been questioned in the USA--or anywhere else for
that matter.

Google search terms: recognition marriages Spain US

Best of luck to your son and his bride.  

Subject: Re: Getting married legally by US citzens in Spain
From: hedgie-ga on 22 Jun 2006 19:41 PDT
Marriage will be valid in US, however, to document it they need to have
the marriage certificte either superlegalized or having an apostille.
Apostille is easier and should be requested in Spain. 

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy