Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Single Mom of Teen Financing Master's Degree in Social Work ( No Answer,   4 Comments )
Subject: Single Mom of Teen Financing Master's Degree in Social Work
Category: Reference, Education and News > Job and Careers
Asked by: futuremswmom-ga
List Price: $35.00
Posted: 22 Jun 2006 22:21 PDT
Expires: 22 Jul 2006 22:21 PDT
Question ID: 740396
Is it practical for me to use financial aid and consumer loans to
finance cost of living and attendance for a two-year master's degree
in social work?  My cost for two years would be $70,000 and I could
expect to earn about $50K on graduation.  I have higher than average
medical costs and I support a teenager.  Would like an answer and
contact info for someone who has done this that I can talk to, if
possible. Thanks!
There is no answer at this time.

Subject: Re: Single Mom of Teen Financing Master's Degree in Social Work
From: markvmd-ga on 23 Jun 2006 08:27 PDT
In the past ten years I have had three MSWs work for me as vet
helpers. I paid more than they could earn in the local market. One is
still with me running the office, one has recently graduated vet
school, and the third is a real estate agent This is a sad comment on
this profession, one that fifty years ago was almost as highly
regarded as psychiatry and medicine.

Get an MBA nad go into HR, if you want to continue dealing with people. 

Or sell real estate, or cars. Use you knowledge of human nature to
give people what they want from a car or house.

Just my opinion.
Subject: Re: Single Mom of Teen Financing Master's Degree in Social Work
From: roxrox-ga on 24 Jun 2006 14:53 PDT
Can't you go part time and work full time? Many many many people do that.
Subject: Re: Single Mom of Teen Financing Master's Degree in Social Work
From: cynthia-ga on 26 Jun 2006 14:10 PDT
I say go fo it, but only if you have ran the numbers and calculate
that this will work, and have been responsible in the use of your
credit cards and money in the past.

I'd do a bill consolidation for all your present debt --first, and,
before you begin school, get the limits raised on all your credit
cards (just in case, they won't do it later). Don't tell them your
plans to use them for living expenses. Tell them (individually) that
you plan to use it on vacation, or on something else consumable.
Subject: Re: Single Mom of Teen Financing Master's Degree in Social Work
From: eddiesgirl-ga on 25 Aug 2006 23:42 PDT
I am currently investigating the possibility of getting my MSW. I am
sure that you may have done this but just in case you have not,
research schools carefully choose one with a solid reputation,
excellent alumni network, excellent career placement rating, and one
that offers opportunities for paid practicum/internship, work-study,
or graduate assistantships. Often a graduate assistantship means a
stipend over the course of 9-10 months that can be renewed, reduced
tuition, and sometimes free summer tuition.
The myths about social workers being underpaid and underemployed stem
from people with little or no knowledge about the profession who have
encountered some who have had difficulty. One of my BSW professors
told us that as with any other profession, if you are competent and do
your job well you will be compensated because of it. Visit the website; consider looking into the University of Georgia
graduate school of social work (I don't know where you are
located but they have an excellent program and assistantships).
I don't know what your area of interest is but I have found that
social workers employed by Veteran Affairs Medical Centers are paid
better than most and the opportunities for advancement are great.
Visit, the website provides great
insight in the social work services provided by the Veteran
Administration and the benefits that exist for MSW's.
Hope some of this helps! Best wishes in your pursuit!

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy