Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: British Nationality, Residence, or Work Permit ( Answered 4 out of 5 stars,   1 Comment )
Subject: British Nationality, Residence, or Work Permit
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: cgraze-ga
List Price: $6.50
Posted: 01 Jul 2006 19:50 PDT
Expires: 31 Jul 2006 19:50 PDT
Question ID: 742732
what steps can one take to gain british nationality, residence, or
work permit based on one's grandparents being english? what must one
provide as evidence and what in general is needed for this to succeed?
which official british office can take my case from costa rica?
Subject: Re: British Nationality, Residence, or Work Permit
Answered By: politicalguru-ga on 02 Jul 2006 02:51 PDT
Rated:4 out of 5 stars
Dear Cgraze, 

First of all, your address for enquiriesin Costa Rica is: 

Consular Section


Sheila Pacheco Vice Consul
Ericka Phillips Consular Assist.
Tel: +(506) 258-2025
Fax: +(506) 233-9938

Paseo Colon, 38-40 streets
CentroColonBuilding, 11th floor


Unfortunately, having British grandparents alone does not guarantee a
British Citizenship:


UK Born Grandparent

It is not generally possible to claim citizenship through an UK born grandparent.

All British citizens are designated as "by descent" or "otherwise than
by descent" and only the latter can pass on their status to children
born overseas.

Therefore, if you and your parent(s) were born outside the UK and your
grandparents born in the UK, your parent(s) will normally be British
by descent and unable to pass on their status to you as the second
generation born overseas. The following exceptions apply:

    * a person born overseas to a parent born in the UK is a citizen
by descent.  However, if they have lived in the UK for a continuous
period of three years they can apply to the Home Office to register
their children born overseas as British citizens while the child is
under one year old.  See British Citizenshipfor forms and fees.
    * a person born overseas before 01 Jan 1983 to a father who was in
Crown Service at the time of their birth may have become a citizen
otherwise than by descent on 01 Jan 1983 with the introduction of the
British Nationality Act 1981. The father must have been recruited in
the UK to serve the British government overseas. In these
circumstances, citizenship can be passed on automatically to their
children born overseas after 01 Jan 1983.
    * A child born overseas after 01 Jan1983 to a parent in Crown
Service will be a citizen otherwise than by descent and able to pass
on their status."
(SOURCE: "Who is eligible for a UK passport ",

However, you might be entitled to apply for an ancestry visa, which
excempts you from a work permit:

"You will qualify if you can show that:

    * you are a Commonwealth citizen
    * you are aged 17 or over
    * you have a grandparent who was born in the UK, the Channel
Islands or the Isle of Man (see note below)
    * you have a grandparent who was born in what is now the Republic
of Ireland before 31 March 1922 (see note below)
    * you are able to work and intend to do so in the UK, and
    * you can support yourself and any dependants, and live without
needing any help from public funds. "

(SOURCE: Guidance - UK Ancestry (INF 9),

"After five years, you will be able to apply for permanent residence as long as:

    * you continue to meet the requirements of the Immigration Rules
for United Kingdom Ancestry, and
    * you have spent five years in employment in the UK in this way,
without a break. "
(SOURCE: ibid). 

So, how do you apply for ancestry visa? 

- You need this form: 
Application form VAF1 - non-settlement  (PDF, 175K) 

You will need: 
    * Your passport or travel document.
    * A recent passport-sized (45mm x 35mm), colour photograph of
yourself. This should be:
          o taken against a light coloured background
          o clear and of good quality, and not framed or backed
          o printed on normal photographic paper, and
          o full face and without sunglasses, hat or other head
covering unless you wear this for cultural or religious reasons.
    * The visa fee. This cannot be refunded, and you must normally pay
it in the local currency of the country where you are applying.
    * Supporting documents relevant to your application: 
You should include all the documents you can to show that you qualify
for entry to the UK through UK Ancestry. If you do not, we may refuse
your application.

As a guide, you should include:

    * your full birth certificate
    * your marriage certificate, if you are married, and
    * the full birth certificates of the parent and grandparent
through whose ancestry you are making your application.

You will also need the marriage certificates of your parents and
grandparents, and legal adoption papers if you or your parents are
(SOURCE: ibid). 

I hope this answers your question. Please contact me if you need any
clarification on this answer before you rate it. My search terms:
[british citizenship grandparents]

Request for Answer Clarification by cgraze-ga on 02 Jul 2006 15:18 PDT
Is there any other program that is not ancestry visa that will
recognize the grandparent?

Clarification of Answer by politicalguru-ga on 02 Jul 2006 23:52 PDT
Dear Cgraze, 

By name, the ancestry visa is the one that deals with ancestry.
cgraze-ga rated this answer:4 out of 5 stars
not the answer I wanted, but a truthful answer none the less... thanks.

Subject: Re: British Nationality, Residence, or Work Permit
From: eppy-ga on 02 Jul 2006 04:14 PDT
Following on from the ancestry visa option: If you are qualify for an
ancestry visa (a. Commonwealth citizen and b. grandparent born in UK),
the ancestry Visa is  valid for 4 years. However, any UK resident
residing in the UK for 4 years is entitled to permanent residency. In
other words, you can apply for permanent residency during your 4th
year, to take affect from the end of your ancestry visa period. Once
you are a permanent resident and have been resident in the UK for a
total of 5 years (one additional year from gaining perm. residency),
you are then entitled to apply for UK citizenship via naturalisation.

That is the route that I took - it took 5 years from arriving on an
ancestry visa from having a Grandparent born in the UK, to becoming a
British Citizen with a UK passport.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy