Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Re-entering US from Canada ( Answered,   1 Comment )
Subject: Re-entering US from Canada
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: coachauburn-ga
List Price: $2.00
Posted: 02 Jul 2006 14:34 PDT
Expires: 01 Aug 2006 14:34 PDT
Question ID: 742842
What documents are necessary for US citizens to return to Detroit from Canada?
Subject: Re: Re-entering US from Canada
Answered By: tisme-ga on 03 Jul 2006 19:52 PDT
Hello coachauburn-ga,

The best document to have would be a passport: "it is strongly
recommended that U.S. citizens also present their passports even when
returning from travel only to Canada or Mexico."

If a passport is not available, the following would work as well: 
-U.S. state or federal government-issued birth certificate or record
(note: hospital-issued birth certificates are not acceptable) or
baptismal record, Certificate of Citizenship, or Certificate of
Naturalization [note: notarized photocopies or notarized fax copies of
such certificates are acceptable, but affidavits of citizenship and
voter registrations are not)
-Photo identification document, like an unexpired driver's license or military ID.

Please let me know if you require further assistance and I will be
happy to help you.


Search Strategy:

u.s. citizen returning passport
Subject: Re: Re-entering US from Canada
From: artqs-ga on 02 Jul 2006 16:49 PDT
The US Customs and Border Protection outlines exactly what you need on
their website. The required documentation can be found at the link

Hope this helps.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy