Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: converting ML to Gauge ( Answered,   0 Comments )
Subject: converting ML to Gauge
Category: Science > Instruments and Methods
Asked by: remdog-ga
List Price: $2.00
Posted: 05 Jul 2006 11:12 PDT
Expires: 04 Aug 2006 11:12 PDT
Question ID: 743562
How do you convert the unit of measurement ML (monolayers) to Gauge
(as in thihckness of steel)?

Request for Question Clarification by eiffel-ga on 05 Jul 2006 12:44 PDT
Hi remdog-ga,

Is it possible that you are instead needing a conversion from
millimeters to steel gauge? It's possible that ML is an (incorrect)
abbreviation for millimetres.

(A monolayer refers to a layer of a molecular compound one molecule thick.)


Clarification of Question by remdog-ga on 06 Jul 2006 06:31 PDT
It is possible as I am not familiar with the units of measurement used
for thickness of a material. My ultimate goal is to understand what
the difference is, if any, between  a thickness measured in 'ML' and a
thickness that is just listed as, for example, '.006 Gauge'.
Subject: Re: converting ML to Gauge
Answered By: eiffel-ga on 08 Jul 2006 03:14 PDT
Hi remdog-ga,

Sometimes "gauge" is just used to mean "measured thickness", and a
gauge of ".006" probably refers to a thickness of 0.006 inches. An
equivalent figure in "ML" is probably intended to refer to a thickness
measured in millimeters (for which the correct abbreviation is "mm").

There is also a measurement for steel based on "Gauge numbers". If you
see a "gauge" with an integer (such as "24 gauge") it's likely to be
referring to a gauge number.

A conversion chart between gauge numbers, thickness in inches, and
thickness in millimeters can be found here:

   Maryland Metrics - Steel Thickness Conversion Table

On this table, "B.W.G." means Birmingham Wire Gauge, used for steel
wire. "U.S.G." means US Standard Gauge, used for stainless steel.

Other gauge scales also exist, so whenever a gauge is quoted it is
important to add the appropriate initials (for example "24 B.W.G.").


Google Search Strategy:

steel gauge mm

gauge monolayer steel
There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy