Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Recurring Male Yeast Infection ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   6 Comments )
Subject: Recurring Male Yeast Infection
Category: Health > Men's Health
Asked by: joel_r-ga
List Price: $6.00
Posted: 06 Jul 2006 06:41 PDT
Expires: 05 Aug 2006 06:41 PDT
Question ID: 743764
Im an uncircumsized male - i noticed redness down there a few days
after sex, and I saw the doctor. He told me I had a yeast infection,
probably from the yeast inside my girlfriend. She has no problems, but
I guess I am really sensitive to it. I have been using canestan creme,
and it works. But it keeps coming back, even after having sex once. Is
this going to be a problem I will have my whole life? Will i have to
apply this cream every time i have sex?
The cream does work every time, it's just frustrating. I even wash my
penis about 3 times a day, and within half an hour of having sex.
Could this be something other than a yeast infection, and the canestan
just happens to clear the symptoms? I am 99 percent sure it is
impossible for me to have an std because my girlfriend and her
previous lovers have all been tested, and I was a virgin. Thanks in
Subject: Re: Recurring Male Yeast Infection
Answered By: crabcakes-ga on 06 Jul 2006 15:06 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Hello Joel_r,

  Several things to consider here:

Your girlfriend may have a mild yeast infection. Yeast is also
considered normal flora in the intestine? have you been having anal
sex? Have you or your girlfriend been taking antibiotics? Sometimes
people develop an overgrowth of yeast after a course of antibiotics.
Diabetics are also more prone to yeast infection than the general

Did your doctor do a skin scraping (KOH) to verify it was yeast? It
may be another form of irritant. You could be sensitive to her soap,
your soap, laundry detergent, or feminine hygiene products.

Have you been applying the Canesten as directed? You need to complete
all applications, even if you seem better, as the yeast will regrow if
you stop abruptly.

?The pathogens are present in your body - 
You don't get yeast, you have yeast. Even when you are fully healthy
and free of symptoms, yeast fungi (Candida albicans) are often present
in the vagina. Normally, the immune system and the acidic vaginal
environment (pH 4) hold them in check, and they remain completely
unnoticed. Only when the pH balance of the vaginal mucous membrane is
disturbed are the conditions favorable for yeast to multiply
unchecked. An infection occurs with all of its unwelcome symptoms.?

?The presence of yeast in the vagina is normal. Only when the yeast
multiply can an infection occur. The condition is easily treated.?

  You don?t say whether she is using a spermicide of any kind, which
could be irritating your skin.

?Yeast are always present in the vagina in small numbers, and symptoms
only appear with overgrowth. Health experts estimate that
approximately 75 percent of all women will have at least one yeast
infection with symptoms during their lifetimes.
Several factors are associated with increased yeast infection in women, including
?	Being pregnant
?	Having uncontrolled diabetes mellitus
?	Using oral contraceptives or antibiotics
Other factors that may increase the incidence of yeast infection include using
?	Douches
?	Perfumed feminine hygiene sprays
?	Topical antibiotics and steroid medicines
Wearing tight, poorly ventilated clothing and underwear also can
contribute to vaginitis. Women should work with their health care
providers to find out possible underlying causes of their chronic
yeast infections.?

??candidal balanitis/balanoposthitis is the most frequent mycotic
infection of the penis, although, in general, fungal infections of the
penis are rare. In one series, Candida species accounted for 30% of
the causative organisms, and beta-hemolytic streptococci accounted for
13%. Rare causes include Streptococcus pyogenes, Prevotella
melaninogenica, Cordylobia anthropophaga, Providencia stuartii, and
Pseudomonas aeruginosa, the last 2 in individuals who are
immunocompromised. Reports of an association between human
papillomavirus (HPV) infection and long-standing balanoposthitis have
been published, but they may reflect a noncausative association.
Associations with ulcerative colitis and Crohn disease have also been
?	Topical antibiotics (metronidazole cream) and antifungals
(clotrimazole cream) or low-potency steroid creams for contact
dermatitides often lead to clearing of the lesion.
?	Proper hygiene with frequent washing and drying of the prepuce is an
essential preventive measure.
Surgical Care: Circumcision may be advocated in recurrent and recalcitrant cases.

I don?t know where you live, but some pharmacists will dispense an old
tried and true remedy called Gentian Violet. No prescription is
needed. It is very purple, and will stain your clothes, as it is a
liquid that is painted on. Consider talking about this with a

A yeast infection is also called candidiasis. Thrush is candidiasis of the mouth.

?Penile candidiasis most often affects men with diabetes,
uncircumcised men, or men whose female sex partners have vaginal
candidiasis. Usually the infection produces a red, raw, sometimes
painful rash on the head of the penis and sometimes the scrotum.
Sometimes the rash may not cause any symptoms.
Thrush is candidiasis inside the mouth. The creamy white patches
typical of thrush cling to the tongue and sides of the mouth and may
be painful. The patches cannot be scraped off easily with a finger or
blunt object. Thrush in otherwise healthy children is not unusual, but
in adults it may signal a weakened immune system, possibly caused by
diabetes or AIDS. The use of antibiotics that kill off competing
bacteria increases the chances of getting thrush.?

Becasue this COULD be another STD such as chlamydia or trichomonas,
I?d recommend discussing this recurrence with your doctor. Your
girlfriend may need to be treated simultaneously, or you could end up
re-infecting each other.

Hope this helps you out!

Sincerely, Crabcakes

Search Terms
Experience in the health care field
Male candidiasis
joel_r-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars
All the information I need. Great researcher - i'll remember the
nickname too - good luck with the crabs.

Subject: Re: Recurring Male Yeast Infection
From: markvmd-ga on 06 Jul 2006 06:43 PDT
If your sex partner isn't being treated you may be going back to the
well each time you hump.
Subject: Re: Recurring Male Yeast Infection
From: joel_r-ga on 06 Jul 2006 07:38 PDT
that was helpful ;)
Subject: Re: Recurring Male Yeast Infection
From: aussietpp-ga on 06 Jul 2006 08:49 PDT
If you are getting a yeast infection after being with your girlfriend
she needs to be treated for it, even if she doesn't notice it. (Lucky

I have noticed ads on TV for "Diflucon 1" (probably not spelt right),
which is a tablet to take for thrush. Just one tablet, very easy.
This goes both ways, if a girl is repeatedly getting a yeast infection
her boyfriend needs to be treated.

If it persists go back to the doctor.

It wouldn't hurt (much) to have tests for STD's yourself.

Good Luck.
Subject: Re: Recurring Male Yeast Infection
From: kriswrite-ga on 06 Jul 2006 10:04 PDT
It's unlikely a woman with a true yeast infection wouldn't know it.
However, we ALL have yeast on our bodies, and you may be especially
susceptible to it. There are some things you can try to reduce your
chances of having yeast issues:

* Be sure to dry the area very thoroughly after you wash
* Use a fresh towel, every time you use a towel
* Wash your towels in hot water, with bleach

Keep the area as dry as possible. You might also try taking a high
dose of vitamin C, which in some people, seems to keep yeast at bay.

Subject: Re: Recurring Male Yeast Infection
From: aussietpp-ga on 06 Jul 2006 11:46 PDT
Perhaps you could use condoms for a while.

Eating yoghurt may also help.

Subject: Re: Recurring Male Yeast Infection
From: kriswrite-ga on 17 Jul 2006 13:30 PDT
Be careful with the Gentian Violet! I can burn your skin. Apply it in
a very small area first, to make sure the sensitive area you're
treating can tolerate the stuff. :)


Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy