I am trying to compute the inventory balance for the December 31,
2005, financial statements. There is a initial balance of $52,600
There is also the following factors that might affect the balance.
- A shipment of goods that cost $3,000 was received on December 28,
2005. It was properly recorded as a purchase in 2005 but not counted
with the ending inventory.
- Another shipment of goods (FOB destination) was received on January
2, 2006, and cost $800. It was properly recorded as a purchase in 2006
but was counted with 2005?s ending inventory.
- A $2,800 shipment of goods to a customer on January 3 was recorded
as a sale in 2006 but was not included in the December 31, 2005,
ending inventory balance. The goods cost $2,000.
- The company had goods costing $6,000 on consignment with a
customer, and $5,000 of merchandise was on consignment from a vendor.
Neither amount was included in the $52,600 figure.
- This merchandise that was in transit on December 31, 2005, & was
recorded as purchases and sales in 2005 but not included in the
December 31 inventory:
1. Ordered by me $1,800, FOB destination
2. Ordered by me $600, FOB shipping point
3. Sold by me cost $4,000, FOB shipping point
4. Sold by me cost $4,600, FOB destination
What I need to calculate:
- Correct amount of ending inventory at December 31, 2005.
- Cost of goods sold in 2005, Assuming net purchases (before any
adjustment) totaled $86,400 and beginning inventory (January 1, 2005)