Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Teacher Certification ( Answered,   1 Comment )
Subject: Teacher Certification
Category: Reference, Education and News > Education
Asked by: grammypoppy-ga
List Price: $10.00
Posted: 16 Jul 2006 14:08 PDT
Expires: 15 Aug 2006 14:08 PDT
Question ID: 746861
My son has been teaching public elementary school for 12 years in
Minnesota.  He wants to move to Pennsylvania to teach in elementary
school.  Is there a way he can do this without retaking tests or
taking new tests to be licensed to teach in PA?
Subject: Re: Teacher Certification
Answered By: boquinha-ga on 15 Aug 2006 13:23 PDT
Hello grammypoppy-ga!

I spoke with someone at the Pennsylvania Department of Education to
find out what your son will need to do obtain a teaching certificate
in Pennsylvania. The short answer is that there is one test that is
required of all applicants, regardless of the length of past
experience. Here are the details that I discovered.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


Minnesota and Pennsylvania are among the 45 states with an Interstate
Certification Agreement. These states recognize past teaching
experience in determining those who must take certification exams. As
long as your son has been teaching on a full teaching credential
issued by the state of Minnesota for 3 of the past 7 years, he is only
required to take the Praxis examination for his ?content area.? This
would be elementary education.

?Pennsylvania has signed an Interstate Agreement with 45 other
states/jurisdictions based upon the mutually agreed-upon conditions of
that contract. It should be noted, however,
that candidates for Pennsylvania Instructional certification must
complete the Praxis
tests required by Pennsylvania unless verification is submitted of
three years of teaching on a comparable state-issued certificate
within the past seven (7) years. In those cases, the candidate must
take and pass the appropriate Praxis content area test. In order for
this Bureau to evaluate an application using the Interstate Agreement,
the candidate must provide verification that he/she has:

* Been awarded a baccalaureate degree

* Completed a state-approved teacher education program, including a
supervised student teaching experience, leading to a comparable or
broader certificate in the member state

* Received the recommendation from the certification officer at the
college or university on an application form designated by this Bureau

* Complied with all ancillary requirements, including Pennsylvania
tests and college minimum grade-point average

* Met all Pennsylvania requirements related to citizenship as well as
moral, ethical and
physical/mental fitness

Candidates who possess a valid and comparable (in subject and grade
level scope) certificate issued by the National Board for Professional
Teaching Standards will be issued a Professional Instructional II
certificate. The applicant will not be asked to complete any
additional requirements for that certificate, including Praxis Series

This Department of Education website has links to useful information
for applicants from out of state.

The following site has links to the application and instructional
booklet for a Pennsylvania teaching certificate. It includes specific
instructions for out-of-state applicants.|#528

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


The Educational Testing Service administers the Praxis examinations.
Your son would be required to take the Level II test related to
elementary education. Here is the site for Pennsylvania-specific

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I hope that you find this information useful! If you have any need of
further clarification, please let me know how I can help.


Search strategy:

Speaking with a staff member at the Pennsylvania Department of
Education, Bureau of Teacher Certification and Testing
Subject: Re: Teacher Certification
From: pinkfreud-ga on 16 Jul 2006 14:34 PDT
This may be helpful:

" To obtain information about approved teacher education programs or
for individuals who hold certification in another state, contact:

Bureau of Teacher Certification and Preparation
Pennsylvania Department of Education
333 Market Street
Harrisburg, PA  17126-0333
Email: "

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy