Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Religious Worker Status in US ( No Answer,   1 Comment )
Subject: Religious Worker Status in US
Category: Reference, Education and News > Job and Careers
Asked by: oreniwa-ga
List Price: $20.00
Posted: 22 Jul 2006 11:25 PDT
Expires: 21 Aug 2006 11:25 PDT
Question ID: 748570
Can a full time Religious Worker on R-1 in the US engage in private
business in addition to his religiuos activities without violating his
There is no answer at this time.

Subject: Re: Religious Worker Status in US
From: myoarin-ga on 22 Jul 2006 17:39 PDT
This is, of course, no legal or professional advice, and also only a
free comment, NOT an official answer to your question.

This US government site gives the definition of a Religious Worker,
including this passage:
"The applicant is entering the United States solely to carry on the
vocation of a minister of that denomination, or, at the request of the
organization, the applicant is entering the United States to work in a
religious vocation or occupation for the denomination or for an
organization affiliated with the denomination, whether in a
professional capacity or not; "

This would seem to indicated that private business activities would
not be allowed:  " entering the US solely to carry on ...".
This would also seem logical, since persons with an H1B visa for
temporary employment are not allowed to work for another organization
than that which has applied for their visa.

As said, this is not a final answer to your question.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy