Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Name Change in Texas ( Answered,   1 Comment )
Subject: Name Change in Texas
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: awkjr-ga
List Price: $10.00
Posted: 24 Jul 2006 18:10 PDT
Expires: 23 Aug 2006 18:10 PDT
Question ID: 749182
We got married in the Bahamas March 2005.  They assured us (as you
even said in one of your responses), the marriage document is legal
and recognized in the United States. The Texas Driver's License bureau
in Fort Worth says they don't recognize foreign documents for name
changes. Any ideas?
Subject: Re: Name Change in Texas
Answered By: denco-ga on 24 Jul 2006 20:30 PDT
Howdy awkjr-ga,

I would suggest you first call the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS)
and verify that you can or can't use your foreign documents for the name
change on your driver license.

"Q: I recently changed my name. What do I need to bring as proof of my
legal name to change my License or Identification Card?

A: A name change due to marriage, divorce, annulment or death of spouse
may be certified by the applicant?s signature.  However, no name will be
used that has not been previously documented.  In all cases, documented
proof of name change must be presented.  If a name is changed for any
other reason, a court order verifying such change is required."

You may contact the DPS at (512) 424-2000 or (512) 424-2600.

You could always get married again, but this time in Texas.

"Applying for a Marriage License in Texas"

Alternatively, you can go through a name change.  The following is from
the Travis County, Texas website, but it appears to be applicable to the
rest of Texas.

"Steps for Changing the Name of an Adult in Texas"

You will want to read the above document in full for all of the details,
as there are a number of steps to go through to complete the process.

The above document mentions a "Original Petition for Change of Name of
an Adult" and a "Order Granting Change of Name of an Adult," both of
which the Travis County website also provides.

You are looking at around $230 or so to do the above name change.

If you need any clarification, please feel free to ask.

Search strategy:

Google search on: Texas "name change"

Google search on: Texas "name change" "drivers license"

Looking Forward, denco-ga - Google Answers Researcher
Subject: Re: Name Change in Texas
From: keystroke-ga on 25 Jul 2006 04:45 PDT
I would try again at a different DMV. Many times, the DMV workers are
clueless and don't know what they're doing.  They like to show that
they are in a position of quasi-authority by refusing documents
occasionally. The last time I went to the DMV, the worker told me that
she wouldn't accept my proof of residency, and then the other worker
gave her a lecture about how they don't have time to mess around with
extemely minor technicalities, so then the woman took it.

They might not realize what the actual laws are, or they might have
been mistakenly told by a higher-up. Or, perhaps they don't take
certain foreign documents and accept others.

Anyway, I'd give it one more chance and see what happens.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy