Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Live in Texas, work multiple states, keep car in California ( No Answer,   1 Comment )
Subject: Live in Texas, work multiple states, keep car in California
Category: Business and Money > Consulting
Asked by: cranialvortex-ga
List Price: $10.00
Posted: 27 Jul 2006 05:57 PDT
Expires: 26 Aug 2006 05:57 PDT
Question ID: 750042
I visit and sometimes do jobs in California for my employer, based in
New Jersey. I just bought a home in Texas, but will be traveling alot
to California, although I work everywhere (multiple states). One day
I'm in Nevada, then California, then Arizona.  I would like to keep a
car in California, not garaged anyplace, maybe sitting at the airport,
friend's house, or roadside. How do I handle licensing, tags,
insurance? If I live in Texas, have a Texas license, and Texas plates,
can I get insurance? What happens if a California police officer stops
me? Don't even know if I can get car insurance on a car sitting in
California, since my residence is in Texas?

Clarification of Question by cranialvortex-ga on 27 Jul 2006 06:07 PDT
Need to know residency laws for California.
Need to know legal problems, if any.
Need to know name of insurance company.
I have been stopped before by California cops when I was a college
student.  My car had Texas tags.  They said since I had been in the
state for longer than a month, that I was a resident, and they
impounded my car!  Left me standing on the roadside.
Now that I'm consulting, I don't want the same headache.
There is no answer at this time.

Subject: Re: Live in Texas, work multiple states, keep car in California
From: keystroke-ga on 27 Jul 2006 06:01 PDT
One possibility would be to get insurance on it in Texas-- you can
have insurance in one state and then take your car to other states
(college students, for example).  This would be best if you leave it
at a friend's house, not the airport.  Having no residence in CA, you
might have a tough time (unless you could use your friend's address).

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy