Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Temporarily renting my furnished home ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   0 Comments )
Subject: Temporarily renting my furnished home
Category: Family and Home > Home
Asked by: mit602-ga
List Price: $20.00
Posted: 11 Oct 2002 01:44 PDT
Expires: 10 Nov 2002 00:44 PST
Question ID: 75209
How can I rent my fully furnished house for 3 months? I have to leave
to care for my Mom and am faced with a mortgage on a home I could be
renting, if I could only find the proper website to do so. Who looks
for these things besides the "Corporate Housing" industry? This is a
nice smaller home, but not the kind of condo/townhouse those
businesses deal in. Thanks!

Request for Question Clarification by seedy-ga on 11 Oct 2002 02:08 PDT

What area of the country??  

Subject: Re: Temporarily renting my furnished home
Answered By: byrd-ga on 11 Oct 2002 06:50 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Dear mit602,

I’m sorry to hear that your mom will require your care for such a
lengthy period.  I hope everything will work out all right.  You’re
right, it would certainly relieve you of a lot of stress if you didn’t
have to worry about making your mortgage payment while you’re gone.

As I’m sure you know, there are many people in all parts of the
country looking for a nice short-term lease such as you have to offer.
 Students and visitors of all kinds can be in need of nice temporary
housing, in addition to those who might have some kind of damage to or
work being done on their house, or perhaps who have sold one house and
can’t yet move into their new one, people relocating for work, and
those working on contract or for many other reasons.   The trick is
finding reliable and trustworthy people to be your short-term tenants.

For starters, check out  This is a
nationwide site that specializes in helping people find housing for
periods of from one to nine months.  Email them at to inquire about their terms and listing your
house.  Another service is Nationwide Network Housing at , and you might also check out For’s owners page at .
Another place to try would be real estate companies in your area.  You
could begin with the Century 21 Realty Office(s) in your town.  This
real estate company frequently handles property management as well as
sales, and is often the first place relocators and others contact when
looking for this type of arrangement.  Their main website is , and allows you to select any city, state,
zip, etc. and ask a question.

Also try other real estate agents.  If you don’t want to make a lot of
phone calls, browse the real estate listings in your yellow pages for
ads with emails or websites, then shoot off a message asking if they’d
be interested in your property on a short-term lease.  You might also
try at , and
inquire about listing your house.  They have a section for rentals
with 138 nationwide brokers listed.

Here’s a service that provides temporary housing listings to the
insurance industry nationwide : .  Email them at .

I’d suggest not giving up on the corporate housing market, since this
is a fairly large share of those looking for temporary housing, and
most of the larger companies do offer private homes as well as condos
and apartments.  One of the larger national companies serving this
market is Aim Relocation Services at .
 Their contact page is here:
.   Another nationwide service is , 
or go here to find out how to list your property with them: .
Yet another is Preferred Corporate Suites at ,
and you might also check out

Do use Google Search and/or Advanced Search, using the following
terms, in order to find additional companies that may specialize in
your particular geographical area.  Even these general searches
returned a large number of geographically specific companies, so by
adding your city or metro area to the search, you should be able to
come up with quite a few.

Short term lease house
Rent nationwide short term
Nationwide short term lease house
Nationwide temporary housing
Temporary housing

I hope this information is of help to you.  
Kindest regards,

Request for Answer Clarification by mit602-ga on 11 Oct 2002 10:40 PDT
I was hoping to find a directory connected to people such as traveling
nurses or another type of profession, a "people-looking-for" listing.
Too much to ask for? I live in Austin, TX, and I've also tried to find
a site connected with the University of Texas with no luck. I did find
a fair amount of the sites you metioned when I did a Google search
earlier. Thanks for your thoughtful response though. I'll try the
insurance connection.

Clarification of Answer by byrd-ga on 11 Oct 2002 12:51 PDT
Thanks, your clarification helps me understand better what you're
looking for. Here are a few more resources that I hope might work for

To begin with, FEMA has a website here , where they are seeking
temporary housing for people displaced by natural disasters.  Given
the severity of the flooding in Central Texas in July, there might
still be quite a few people who'd fit this profile.  Along the same
lines, another place to check could be the Austin Red Cross at

Here's a list of Traveling Nurse agencies, many of which also offer
temporary housing in addition to jobs:

In the line of healthcare, another possibility might be offering a
temporary solution to families in need of housing while undergoing
some kind of treatment.  The American Cancer Society is one such
organization that tries to help patients find temporary housing:

Another possibility is domestic violence victims in need of safe
temporary housing.  You might check out the Texas Council on Family
Violence located at
8701 North Mopac Expressway, Suite 450  Austin, TX 78759  Phone: (512)
You could also try the Women's Counseling and Resource Center at (512)
326-1222; Safe Place (formerly Austin Battered Women's Shelter) at  (512) 267-7233;  The Family Crisis Center , toll-free
phone 1-888-311-7755; and Williamson County's Bluebonnet Trails MHMR
Community Center at .

I’ll keep searching for additional resources for you, and will post if
I come up with anything additional.  I do hope you might find some of
these useful.

Additional search terms I used were:

seeking temporary housing
short term shelter
workers need temporary housing
temporary housing needs
short term rentals

Wishing you luck,
mit602-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars
Very thorough, both with the initial question and with follow-up.

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy