Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Child custody rights for unwed father/mother ( No Answer,   3 Comments )
Subject: Child custody rights for unwed father/mother
Category: Relationships and Society > Law
Asked by: custody-ga
List Price: $15.00
Posted: 04 Aug 2006 15:51 PDT
Expires: 03 Sep 2006 15:51 PDT
Question ID: 752656
My best friend moved to Hawaii to go to school. While going to school here,
she dated a guy who got her pregnant. They had a really rough
relationship since she got pregnant. There were many times when she
wanted to leave the relationship because it got abusive. However, he
has made threats that he can take her to court to get custody over
their son. He even told her that he has spoken to a lawyer and the
lawyer told him he has chance of getting custody of their son. He told
her that leaving the country without settling this issue is considered
kidnapping. The father did sign the Acknowledgement of Paternity form
at the hospital when their son was born. However, they are not
married. The mother is the primary care taker of the child. Their son
is now 3 years old. Whatrights do the mother and father have? Is it
safe for the mother to leave the country without going to court? What
should she do before leaving? Will it hurt her later if she decides to
visit or move back
to Hawaii?

Request for Question Clarification by czh-ga on 04 Aug 2006 16:03 PDT
Hello custody-ga,

Where is the mother living now? Where is the father? Where was the
child born? What country is the mother considering moving to? Why?

~ czh ~
There is no answer at this time.

Subject: Re: Child custody rights for unwed father/mother
From: crabcakes-ga on 04 Aug 2006 16:00 PDT
To which country did the mother move after leaving Hawaii?
Subject: Re: Child custody rights for unwed father/mother
From: custody-ga on 05 Aug 2006 15:50 PDT
The child was born in Hawaii. The mother has taken the child to visit
cousins in the  Marshall Islands several times. The mother is still
living in Hawaii and is planning to move back to the Marshall Islands
where her family is from. She was born and raised there but moved to
Hawaii for highschool and college and have always planned to go back
after she graduates. The father is in Hawaii and has been and still
loves with the mother; They haven't officially broken up. However, the
mother wants out. She wants to find out what steps she needs to take
before she leaves. She wants to ensure that her actions are safe and
will not affect/haunt her in the future if she ever visits Hawaii.
Subject: Re: Child custody rights for unwed father/mother
From: custody-ga on 05 Aug 2006 15:52 PDT
I wrote "loves with the mother"...I meant "lives with the mother".

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy