Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: doctors for ADD ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   1 Comment )
Subject: doctors for ADD
Category: Health > Medicine
Asked by: bixby-ga
List Price: $20.00
Posted: 07 Aug 2006 06:51 PDT
Expires: 06 Sep 2006 06:51 PDT
Question ID: 753385
Which doctor or doctors can I go to, to get a prescription for adderall?

Request for Question Clarification by boquinha-ga on 07 Aug 2006 08:07 PDT
To clarify, are you seeking a list of the kinds of specialists who
prescribe Adderall?


Clarification of Question by bixby-ga on 07 Aug 2006 08:43 PDT
Yes, what kind of doctor I should look for. Thanks!
Subject: Re: doctors for ADD
Answered By: boquinha-ga on 07 Aug 2006 10:34 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Hello bixby-ga!

While virtually all physicians can write prescriptions for most
medications, many are reluctant to write prescriptions for certain
medications. In order to prescribe Adderall, physicians do not need to
undergo special training or receive any additional qualifications, but
there are certain specialties that are more likely to routinely
prescribe ADHD medications. This answer is not intended to substitute
for the opinion of a qualified health professional that you trust. If
you have any specific concerns or questions you should discuss them
with him or her.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


There are a number of people who could potentially treat ADD/ADHD, but
ultimately your provider will have to be comfortable prescribing
Adderall. The National Institute of Health website has an article on
ADHD, and in it they list potential specialties that treat it. They
specifically mention:

*Family Physicians
*Clinical Social Workers
*Other counselors

Of these, a psychiatrist, neurologist, pediatrician, or family
physician would be able to provide a prescription for Adderall. The
others could provide valuable counseling and insight, but would not be
able to provide medications. My husband (a family physician) added
that an Internist would also be qualified to write a prescription for
Adderall if he or she felt comfortable diagnosing and treating ADHD.

Adderall, a form of amphetamines, is a Schedule II medication
according to the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA). As such, it may only
be prescribed by physicians who possess a valid DEA license. There are
also many restrictions on exactly how a Schedule II medication may be

Here are some of the restrictions on prescribing  Schedule II
medications like Adderall. I am including this information just so you
are aware of some of the issues surrounding prescribing this

?Unlike other prescription drugs . . . controlled substances are
subject to additional restrictions. Schedule II prescription orders
must be written and signed by the practitioner; they may not be
telephoned into the pharmacy except in an emergency. In addition, a
prescription for a Schedule II drug may not be refilled; the patient
must see the practitioner again in order to obtain more drugs.?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I hope that you find this information useful! Again, if you have
specific concerns or questions, be sure to discuss them with a
qualified health practitioner that you trust. If you have any need of
further clarification, please let me know how I can help.


Search terms

DEA drug schedule
?schedule II? prescription
bixby-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars and gave an additional tip of: $5.00

Subject: Re: doctors for ADD
From: boquinha-ga on 07 Aug 2006 10:59 PDT
Thank you very much for the 5 stars and the tip, too!! 


Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy