Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Chairs ( Answered,   1 Comment )
Subject: Chairs
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: smerickson-ga
List Price: $2.00
Posted: 09 Aug 2006 16:27 PDT
Expires: 08 Sep 2006 16:27 PDT
Question ID: 754469
What is the job title for a person who makes chairs?  In other words,
what do you call a person who makes chairs?  For example, a cobbler is
someone who makes shoes, what is the analogous title for one who makes

Thanks for your help!
Subject: Re: Chairs
Answered By: scriptor-ga on 09 Aug 2006 16:46 PDT
Dear smerickson,

A joiner specialized in making chairs is simply a "chairmaker", just
as a joiner who makes cabinets is just called a cabinetmaker. Generic
and uninspired as the term "chairmaker" may sound, it is actually the
traditional designation for this special kind of craftsman, dating
back at least to the 17th century.

Subject: Re: Chairs
From: myoarin-ga on 09 Aug 2006 17:01 PDT
And a shoemaker makes shoes.  A cobbler, properly speaking, only repairs them:

Modern dictionaries don't make the distinction, but the shoemakers do.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy