Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: working abroad ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   0 Comments )
Subject: working abroad
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: ali265-ga
List Price: $20.00
Posted: 14 Aug 2006 13:33 PDT
Expires: 13 Sep 2006 13:33 PDT
Question ID: 755941
i hold dual citizenship (us and uk).  my husband (us citizen) and i
would like to move back to the uk.  what would be the process for my
husband to obtain employment in the uk?  would he need to be hired
first by a uk company?
Subject: Re: working abroad
Answered By: belindalevez-ga on 16 Aug 2006 05:14 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
<Working in the UK.

As the husband of a UK citizen your husband will have the right to
work in the UK, intially for two years. After two years he can apply
for further leave to remain.

He must get a visa before travelling to the UK.

He will need to fill in a visa application form VAF2-settlement. He
must apply for the visa in the US.

There is no requirement to have a job lined up before entering the UK.

Source: UK Visas.

You can apply online via the British Embassy website.
A settlement visa costs $494.00

The British Embassy.

In the long term, he may consider applying for British Citizenship.
The legal requirements  are that he:
Is aged 18 or over when the application is made.
Of sound mind, so that you understand the step you are taking.
Can communicate in English to an acceptable degree.
Has sufficient knowledge about life in the UK.
Of good character. 
Has lived in the UK for three years.
Source: Home office.>

<Search strategy:>

<"uk visas">

<home office uk>

<uk embassy usa>

<Hope this helps.>
ali265-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars
this was excellent.  it helped to clarify a murky topic.

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy