Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Indian code of civil law related to Shiite Muslim marriages ( No Answer,   1 Comment )
Subject: Indian code of civil law related to Shiite Muslim marriages
Category: Relationships and Society
Asked by: fat55-ga
List Price: $10.00
Posted: 20 Aug 2006 11:03 PDT
Expires: 19 Sep 2006 11:03 PDT
Question ID: 757876
I want an Indian Government web site where I can read all about Shiite
laws of the civil codes governing marriages, dowry, gifts and other
related matters. I want to review all the items with code numbers.

Request for Question Clarification by denco-ga on 21 Aug 2006 18:41 PDT
Howdy fat55-ga,

I have not been able to find any such site or civil codes.

There is the Hindu Marriage Act of 1955, but that does not appear applicable.

Do you have sort of reference, etc. of there being such civil codes?  Thanks!

Looking Forward, denco-ga - Google Answers Researcher
There is no answer at this time.

Subject: Re: Indian code of civil law related to Shiite Muslim marriages
From: netpilot-ga on 23 Aug 2006 15:07 PDT
The following article indicates that India has chosen to leave
questions of personal status law (family law) to be determined by
"personal law boards".

In other words, Indian Muslims continue to enjoy a large measure of
autonomy in family law matters, subject to the umbrella oversight of
the Indian state.

There do not appear to be any Civil Code provisions dealing
specifically with Muslim law.  (There are provisions for Hindus.)

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy