I would like to learn the following about contributions to federal
candidates (candidates for U.S. Congress, U.S. Senate and the
President), for a given election cycle (say, 2003-2004):
1. What was the total amount contributed to all candidates from
individuals (not including contributions from PACs or other
2. How much of the total in (1) came in contributions of $10,000 or more?
3. What is the total number of these contributions of $10,000 or more?
4. What was the total amount contributed to all candidates from PACs,
parties, and other organizations (all contributions not from
5. How much of the total in (4) came in contributions of $10,000 or more?
6. What is the total number of contributions of $10,000 or more, from
7. How many organizational (non-individual) entities contribute to
Federal candidates, subdivided by type? (How many PACs, how many party
8. If we sorted all the entities in (7) in order of total giving,
starting from the biggest contributors, how many entities would be
needed to make up 50% of total contributions? 80% of total
contributions? I assume that it takes much less than 50% of the top
PACs to make up 50% of the contributions.
9. How did you obtain this information?