Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: H1 Visa ( Answered,   0 Comments )
Subject: H1 Visa
Category: Business and Money > Employment
Asked by: johngalt74-ga
List Price: $50.00
Posted: 23 Aug 2006 20:03 PDT
Expires: 22 Sep 2006 20:03 PDT
Question ID: 758958
Hello :
I am working with company A under H1 visa.
I have changed my job from company A to company B.
Company B is in the process of transfering my H1 visa.
I will start working for company B very soon.
I will be working for company B for full time.
However company A wants to retain my services on part time basis to
help them out with the imcomplete projects.
My question is can i work for company A on part time basis while
working fulltime with company B ? (Considering that company A has my
Company A is ready to do any addition paperwork that may be needed to
be done in order form me to be able to work with them on parttime
Subject: Re: H1 Visa
Answered By: hummer-ga on 24 Aug 2006 06:44 PDT
Hi johngalt74,

"My question is can i work for company A on part time basis while
working fulltime with company B ?"

Yes, sure, it is fine to hold a concurrent part-time job, but you will
need a new full-time H1B for Company B and an amended part-time H1B
for Company A (see Form I-539 below for changing to part-time).  Given
that you will begin working for Company B on Company A's H1B (only
after the "Receipt Notice" of Company B's H1B application has
arrived), you will need to wait for Company B's H1B approval before
filing to change Company A's H1B (I hope that is clear!).

The ABC?s of Immigration: The H-1B Visa
by Gregory Siskind
What about the case where an employee accepts a job with a second
employer without giving up the first position?
"There is no legal reason why this cannot take place. An H-1B worker
can work for several employers simultaneously if desired. However,
each employer must have a separate approval for the worker to work
"There are many times when a change in the nature of one's employment
will trigger the need to file either an amendment to an H-1B petition
or a completely new petition. USCIS position is that if the change in
employment is "material" then an amendment must be filed. So, for
example, if there is a significant change in job duties, then a new
petition will probably be necessary..."

"According to immigration law which went into effect October 17, 2000,
you may begin working as soon as your new employer files the H-1B
petition with the USCIS. You do not need to wait for the petition to
be approved. This is only true for change of H-1B employer. Remember,
for change of STATUS to H-1B, you must wait for the approval notice." 

"I am a full-time employee of company 'A' and I got a full-time job
offer at company 'B'. Can I work for company 'A' on part-time and
Company 'B' full-time?
"Yes, but you will need to file new H-1Bs for company 'A' and company
'B', because if the old H-1B were approved for full time employment,
the change to part-time requires a new H-1, UNLESS the old H-1
(Company A) was for a range of hours (10-40 hrs./week)."

"If you plan to work for multiple employer(either full time or part
time), each employer must file separate H1B petition."

Instructions for Form I-539, Application To Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status

Form I-539, Application To Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status Fillable Form

I was glad to work on this for you. If you have any questions, please
post a clarification request and wait for me to respond before
closing/rating my answer.

Thank you,

Google Search Terms Used: h1b multiple employers full part time
concurrent company a b
There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy