Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Finding a Lawyer/Other Help in Obtaining Holocaust Reparations ( Answered,   3 Comments )
Subject: Finding a Lawyer/Other Help in Obtaining Holocaust Reparations
Category: Relationships and Society > Law
Asked by: jbrief-ga
List Price: $15.00
Posted: 26 Aug 2006 23:51 PDT
Expires: 25 Sep 2006 23:51 PDT
Question ID: 759853
My (Jewish) grandparents were victims of Nazi Concentration
Camps/Death Camps, and as such were later awarded (and continue to be
awarded) reparations for their suffering from Germany.  Hundreds of
thousands of Nazi victims have been awarded such settlements, mostly
in the 1970s.  My father, also Jewish, was under Nazi rule as well (in
forced filth-ridden/diease-ridden ghettos in Nazi-controlled Romania)
from 1939-1945.  My father has recently expressed interest in
obtaining similar compensation, but does not know where to go for
lawyers who handle such cases.  Where can I find such an attorney (or
other professional who deals with such cases?)

Request for Question Clarification by politicalguru-ga on 27 Aug 2006 01:15 PDT
Where (in the world) are you located (not your exact address, only the
country, and if possible, the nearest major city).

Request for Question Clarification by scriptor-ga on 27 Aug 2006 12:37 PDT
I'd like to point out that Romania was at no time "Nazi-controlled".
They had their own Fascist government under prime minister Ion
Antonescu, and they were allies of Nazi Germany. While certainly
heavily influenced by the German antisemitic ideology, the crimes
against Jews in Romania happened under Romanian authority. Thus, the
Romanian government would now be responsible for compensation.


Clarification of Question by jbrief-ga on 27 Aug 2006 13:54 PDT
We are currently located in New York City.
Subject: Re: Finding a Lawyer/Other Help in Obtaining Holocaust Reparations
Answered By: politicalguru-ga on 28 Aug 2006 00:40 PDT
Dear Jbrief, 

As Scriptor mentioned, it is possible that you are not entitled to
reparations from the German government, because the persecution took
place outside Germany. Romania pays compensation mostly for property
lost because of the reparations, which indeed would require lots of
work to prove (that his parents had that property and that he's the
heir) and litigate (in any, because the Romanians have tried to set a
deadline on the claims, an issue that was only partly overturned in
the European Court for Human Rights).

Claims Conference - Romania

The (U.S.) Federal Government, too, has some programmes to help and
compensate Holocaust survivors. See:
USA: Holocaust Payments & Federal Benefits

In order to find a suitable lawyer, and to find out if you have a case
at all (which is worth spending the money on an advocate), contact the
Claims Conference, an organisation handling all Holocaust-related

15 East 26 Street
Room 906
New York, NY 10010
Fax: 212-679-2126
General inquiries: 

I hope this answers your question. Please contact me if you need any
clarification on this answer before you rate it.
Subject: Re: Finding a Lawyer/Other Help in Obtaining Holocaust Reparations
From: probonopublico-ga on 27 Aug 2006 00:20 PDT
Evidently, it's not easy ...

I would be wary of hiring a lawyer (who may gladly take your money)
until you have fully investigated the viability of your father's

Please ... I am doubting that he suffered ...

However, I suggest you first make contact with others who are in the
same boat, if at all possible.

Good luck!

Subject: Re: Finding a Lawyer/Other Help in Obtaining Holocaust Reparations
From: markvmd-ga on 27 Aug 2006 09:35 PDT
Isn't it interesting how three little letters can change the meaning
of a sentence? Fortunately we all know you meant to include the word
"not" in your sentence.

But the Freudian implications...
Subject: Re: Finding a Lawyer/Other Help in Obtaining Holocaust Reparations
From: probonopublico-ga on 27 Aug 2006 21:59 PDT
Thanks, Mark ...

I really had intended to write:

Please ... I am NOT doubting that he suffered ...

My apologies!


Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy