Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Car insurance: secondary driver with foreign license ( No Answer,   1 Comment )
Subject: Car insurance: secondary driver with foreign license
Category: Reference, Education and News > Consumer Information
Asked by: mik1521-ga
List Price: $16.00
Posted: 28 Aug 2006 13:14 PDT
Expires: 27 Sep 2006 13:14 PDT
Question ID: 760240
Can I add a secondary driver who only has a foreign license to my car
insurance policy? (NY)

I am about to purchase car insurance in New York state. My wife
doesn't have a NY license and she's not eligible for one given the
restrictive rules of DMV on visa status and length of stay
( She does have a
foreign license since 1994, which allows her to drive in NY. She would
drive the car only occasionally. I talked to GEICO and Progressive and
she would not be allowed to drive under their policy.

Can you provide a list of insurance companies that allow for a
secondary driver with no NY license?
There is no answer at this time.

Subject: Re: Car insurance: secondary driver with foreign license
From: bethlyn184-ga on 28 Aug 2006 16:37 PDT
I know as a previous agent for Chubb Insurance - they can cover your
wife under the auto policy. They will need a "no loss" letter from
your/her previous auto company/dmv from what country she was from.
This will state no accidents or violations for the years she was loss
free. This lets Chubb Insurance know that she was no a reckless driver
in her former country. hope that helps.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy