Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: UK tax return ( Answered 4 out of 5 stars,   1 Comment )
Subject: UK tax return
Category: Business and Money > Finance
Asked by: babyelephant-ga
List Price: $20.00
Posted: 05 Sep 2006 08:59 PDT
Expires: 05 Oct 2006 08:59 PDT
Question ID: 762388
Since becoming a high rate uk tax payer 3-4 years ago i haven't filled
in or been asked to fill in a tax return by my tax office. I pay
income tax through PAYE.  I have 3
equity funds and four building society accounts and 3 ex-building
society share holdings all of which are registered at my mother's
address and an isa which is registered at my current address. I want
to regularise my tax situation what are my options and the best way of
approaching the tax office.
Subject: Re: UK tax return
Answered By: answerfinder-ga on 05 Sep 2006 10:01 PDT
Rated:4 out of 5 stars
Dear babyelephant-ga,

Your situation is not unusual and the Tax Aid web site has some very
useful advice which will answer your question.

Tax Aid is charity which gives advice on tax issues. Their home page is,

The page you require is, 
?If you have not declared your income?

I recommend that you read the page as it is very detailed, but this is
a sample of their good advice.

?While we would advise you to report your failure to HM Revenue and
Customs as soon as possible, it is usually a good idea to seek advice
from an accountant or tax adviser first. After reviewing the
situation, they may be able tell you how much tax you have failed to
pay, how seriously HM Revenue and Customs will view your situation,
and how best to approach HM Revenue and Customs.
HM Revenue and Customs has established a confidential helpline
(0845 608 6000) which you may contact to discuss your situation,
without revealing your identity.

This may be a good way of initiating contact with HM Revenue and Customs.

Once you have clarification from the helpline as to how HM Revenue and
Customs will view your situation, you may decide to give them your
identity and they will pass your case to a tax office to continue
negotiations with you.?

If you contact Tax Aid, the charity will also give advice from their experts.

As the article above indicates, a good accountant will also assist you
or you could also seek advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau.

This is the web page for the HM Customs and Excise, Tax and Benefits
Confidential Helpline.

I hope this answers your question. If it does not, or the answer is
unclear, then please ask for clarification of this research before
rating the answer. I shall respond to the clarification request as
soon as I receive it.
Thank you

Search strategy
A link from a BBC article on failing to pay tax
babyelephant-ga rated this answer:4 out of 5 stars
Generally satisfied by the answer but the link wasnt entirely relevant
to my situation however i feel i have got enough infomation to move
forward - thank you!

Subject: Re: UK tax return
From: probonopublico-ga on 05 Sep 2006 10:54 PDT
As a UK accountant, I am very familiar with this scenario and I can
assure you that it's no big deal.

Many people move into the higher tax bracket without realising the
implications for their investment income that is taxed at source.

It would be a good idea to list all your investment income for the
years concerned, as this will be required for the adjustments to be

The ISA is, of course, not subject to Income Tax - so that should be excluded.

However, to regularise matters, I suggest that you transfer all your
investments to your currect address.

If you want any more help, in addition to Answerfinder's excellent
answer and links, please don't hesitate to ask.


Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy