Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Caught speeding in US with European license ( No Answer,   6 Comments )
Subject: Caught speeding in US with European license
Category: Relationships and Society > Law
Asked by: sirin1687-ga
List Price: $2.00
Posted: 05 Sep 2006 18:10 PDT
Expires: 05 Oct 2006 18:10 PDT
Question ID: 762551
On a trip to the USA I got a speeding ticket. The cop got my full
name, street address, German driver's license number, and rental car
information.  The cop did not get my passport number (because I didn't
have my passport with me), zip code or telephone number.  My address
on the speeding ticket is therefore wrong (State = XX, Zip=00000, and
Germany is nowhere mentioned).  My question is: What's the worst that
can happen to me if I don't pay the ticket?
There is no answer at this time.

Subject: Re: Caught speeding in US with European license
From: scriptor-ga on 05 Sep 2006 18:16 PDT
Nun, wer in einem fremden Land die Verkehrsregeln verletzt, sollte gar
nicht erst mit dem Gedanken spielen, sich der Verantwortung für die
Ordnungswidrigkeit zu entziehen. Mein ganz persönlicher Rat: Einfach

Subject: Re: Caught speeding in US with European license
From: nelson-ga on 05 Sep 2006 19:26 PDT
Speedin's a hangin' offense.
Subject: Re: Caught speeding in US with European license
From: kemlo-ga on 06 Sep 2006 01:17 PDT
No problem if you never return to U.S.A.
However all the different states are now talking to each-other over
speeding tickets.

?If I get a ticket in another state, will it affect my driver's license?
Forty-eight states belong either to an agreement called the "Driver's
License Compact" or the "Non-Resident Violator Compact." (The only
states that don't belong to one or the other are Michigan and
Wisconsin.) When you get a ticket in one of these states, the
department of motor vehicles will relay the information to your state
-- and the violation will affect your driving record as if the ticket
had been given at home.?

Subject: Re: Caught speeding in US with European license
From: myoarin-ga on 06 Sep 2006 03:21 PDT
I agree with Scriptor's recommendation that you pay the ticket, but ...

Once in California, I was speeding on a northern, almost trafficless
freeway, closing fast on a car ahead, until I suddenly saw the
reflector lettering "HIGHWAY PATROL"
Subject: Re: Caught speeding in US with European license
From: myoarin-ga on 06 Sep 2006 03:31 PDT
Hmmm, hit the tab key and posted mid comment:

on the back of the car, and immediately slowed down.  He waved me
over, and when we had stopped and we both had gotten out, and he
learned that I had a German license, he just started a discussion
about how much he liked Mercedes cars.  Of course, I humoured him
along on the subject, apologizing for my autobahn-style speeding.  And
that was that.
I suspect  - but do not know -  that he realized that a ticket would
have been pointless.

Considering that the EU is just now gearing up to exchange traffic
violation information, I assume that USA and European countries have
Subject: Re: Caught speeding in US with European license
From: politicalguru-ga on 06 Sep 2006 04:15 PDT
Die Autovermietung würde von Ihrem Konto bzw. Ihrer Kreditkarte das
Geld abheben (Die Polizei schickt den Zettel an die Firma). Dazu
würden wahrscheinlich weitere Geldstrafen kommen (lesen Sie den
Vertrag mit dem Vermieter).


And for the benefit of other Google Answers users: The standard
car-rental contracts include a clause, stating that in the case of a
speeding ticket, they'd charge the credit card or account that you
gave as a collateral. Moreover, car-rentals usually charge extra if
they get the fine, because of administrative fees, etc.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy